Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:54 AM   #1

First of all i would like to thanks steve's and other membersfor contributingsuch a great and informative site.

I m not able to decide which one should i buy. Either powershot A540 or Sony DSC W30. Please suggest me.

Thanks

Vaby.

vaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:11 AM   #2

Well, lets look at the benefits of each.

The Canon A540 has a 4x zoom lens, as opposed to the DSC W30 with a 3x lens. That extra zoom could come in handy, especially if you plan to shoot any wildlife (although serious wildlife photographers will need more than 4x).

The Canon A540 uses AA batteries and the Sony uses a Lithium battery, that is up to personal preference, I prefer AA's because they are easy to buy spares.

The Canon uses SD memory cards, while the Sony uses Sony Memory Sticks, SD memory is generally cheaper and if you decide to upgrade to a new camera, only Sony's will accept your old memory stick, but nearly any camera (Non Sony/Fuji/Olympus) will accept SD. (I prefer SD).

The Canon has a slower shutter speed range, meaning that it can take pictures of non-moving objects at night better (with a Tripod).

The light sensitivity (ISO) is fairly equal on both although I think the Sony has a slight edge.

The Sony is slightly smaller, while the Canon in my opinion has a better handgrib. So if size matters consider the Sony (the difference is small).

I realize this is a huge amount of information, but you didn't tell us what you were looking for in a camera, so I just listed the good and the bad. Let me know if you have any more questions. If it matters, I personally would take the Canon because of the longer zoom, use of AA batteries and use of SD memory cards.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 2:26 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply Morag.

Actually i m looking for good quality images. Definately canon has 4x but how is the quality of photo of canon A540if we compare it with sony W30. I guess sony is using carl zeiss lens. but canon is using their own made lenses. So which one will give me good quality of picture. Yesterday i have also seen kodak Z612. It has 12 x optical, 6.4 mega pixel. I really dont know much abt the specifications. and if we compare this with canon or sony the price difference is not much, hardly $100 more than canon and $ 60-70 more than sonyW30. So again im confused. But i really dont know how are kodak quality.

But i basic requirement is to get good quality pictures both in outdoor and indoor.

Plz suggest me.
vaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:27 PM   #4

I just bought the Kodak Z612 last week. It has IS and takes amazing pics with the 12x zoom. Well worth the difference in price. Quality is excellent. Even does vga video @ 30 fps with stereo sound and zoom.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:28 PM   #5

gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote