Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2006, 7:14 PM   #1

Hi all. You all have been great when it came to buying my other cameras. I want to buy an advanced cam...I think that's what u call them? Is there a better one? I have owned many sonys and am used to the controls..that is why I was leaning towards the H5 instead of the canon. I mostly only take pictures of my daughter. Most pictures will be indoors, and some outdoors. I wasn't sure if they were pretty similar, or if one stood out to all of you. I have done the comparison on line, and don't really know what all the technical mumbo jumbo means. So I thought maybe some of you might know. I once owned a sony called the dsc-v3 Cyber Shot 7.2 megapixels. I loved that camera and I noticed it looked a lot like this one. I would take a picture of my daughter, and be able to crop it down to just her face, and it would be piture perfect everytime. I am hoping this will be close to the same. Anyhow, I will stop rambling now. Any help would be wonderful, thanks Jen
kayleezmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:10 AM   #2

Jen,

Please don't be offended by this question, I just had to ask...

I recall some of your previous posts, where you were getting quite frustrated with your W100, not taking the pictures you wanted, and not being able to figure out how to operate it. Prior to the W100, you had a Canon 800 IS, and had trouble with the controls on that. I just have to ask...what makes you think that now, less than one month later, you are ready for an advanced digicam? Do you think it will be easier to operate? Do you think it will automatically take better pictures than your W100?

The H5 is a good camera, but it's not the same as your old DSC-V3. It's bigger, heavier, takes AA batteries, has a smaller sensor, the optical viewfinder has been replaced by an electronic one, and I'm sure that the control positions and the menus have changed somewhat.

I would hate to suggest a camera to you, have you buy it, then come back to this forum and complain that you can't figure out how to use it...so I won't. I would suggest, however that you stop in your local camera store and pick up an H5 and play with it for awhile, and see if you think you can deal with it before you buy. If that seems OK, then get on the Sony website, download the H5 manual and read it . Then if you think you can handle the camera, the functions and the controls, go for it!

Good luck.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 1:35 PM   #3

Thanks for your input. Yes, I did have the W100, but it was lost on vacation. I was thinking of getting anothe rone, but like you said, I never really figured it out completely. I have played around a little with the H5. I went to Creve Coeur Camera and used it a bit there. the controls were very similar to my old Dsc-v3, and it weighed much less. I am just not sure with th etechnical stuff, what's different. I was told at the camera store that my problem may have been partly with the flash on the W100. I was going from the dsc-v3 to the smaller p &S, and expecting the same. I am hoping by going back to the bigger camera I can start getting clearer pictures with a larger flash indoors. thanks for any input you have, Jen
kayleezmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 4:33 PM   #4

This is interesting...how much does a camera weigh? According to Steve's and two other review sites (Site A), [Site B], the V3 weighs 15 oz, (13.8 oz), [14.3 oz]; the H5 weighs 14.9 oz, (17.3 oz), [20.7 oz]; and the H2 weighs 14.2 oz, (17.3 oz), [20.7 oz]. And they all claim the weight includes batteries and memory card...those are some huge differences!

I'll have to believe you, since you're probably the only one I know who has personally handled both the V3 and the H5...maybe you should start your own camera review site?

I'm not so sure that the flash on your W100 was the problem, since the W100's flash has a longer working range than the V3 (almost double at wide angle). I seem to recall you having problems taking pictures of your daughter in the snow, and that didn't involve the flash...or did it?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote