Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2006, 2:46 PM   #1

I posted this question but it just disappeared from here. Hope I didnt break a rule. Anyways I will try again.

I recently bought the G7 and I just love this camera. But it lacks a long distance zoom that sometimes I would like to have. Im thinking about the Canon S3IS. Can that camera take a pic that able to make somebody go wow! And the other one is the Kodak easyshare P880. Ive been told this cameras pics can rivaltheD50. The zoomdoesnt go as far as the S3 but I believe it goes farther than my G7??And finally I do like the Nikon D50, is it possible to get one with lense new for under 500 dollars with 12 times zoom.

Thanks
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 3:39 PM   #2

There is also a 2x telephoto lens extension available for the G7 which you might consider. You need the conversion lens adaptor for about $25, then the telephoto lens is about $110. That would bring you to a 420mm equivalent.

When you ask about 12x zoom, do you really mean you want that much range in one lens, from wide angle to telephoto, or just that you want a long telephoto?

Keep in mind that when they call the G7 a 6x optical zoom, they are refering too the range not the magnification. At it's longest telephoto, it's a 210mm equivalent, which is about 4x the 50mm which is considered to be "normal".

While there are some all-in-one type DSLR lenses available covering wide ranges like 18-200mm or 18-250mm, you tend to get better quality, especially on the telephoto end, from a dedicated telephoto lens covering a shorter range, like 100-300mm. You would multiply those numbers by about 1.5 to get the 35mm equivalent for most DSLRs.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 4:26 PM   #3

That sounds like that might be good. And I see theres a wide angle also. Do you think this conversion is a better way to go then getting the S3IS or the kodak easy share P880. I like the fact that the G7 can fitin my jacket pocket.Do the conversion lenses have lens caps if I want to keep them on the camera for a while. Sorry for the dumb question but Ive always used the smaller point and shootcameras.
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote