Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2006, 3:16 PM   #1

I currenlty have the Sony DSC-H1 with 2 additional lenses. I am somewhat new into photography, but would like to get better. Can someone tell me if it would be worth the upgrade to the Alpha camera ?? Or, with what I am using it for if I would not see much of a difference. THANKS !!
jeaninebroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 5:08 PM   #2

What are you currently doing with your H1, and what do you hope to accomplish with the Alpha? If you're looking to break into the DSLR ranks, you can do so for a lot less money than the Alpha, and maybe even pick up a better camera. Just my opinion...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/page20.asp

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 5:18 PM   #3

I would like to start taking photos for competition, just for fun..Just like to experiment with photography. The one that I have takes really nice pics, just did not know if it would be that noticeable a difference, with the difference in pixels. Any thoughts...I also have a canon T-50 35 mm. I wonder if it would be worth investing in another canon, if the lenses would interchange. I have a Mavica FD-95 that I have for sale on e-bay. Just did not like the floppy thing anymore...
Old Dec 31, 2006, 5:43 PM   #4

If you're that serious about photography, then you should definitely consider moving up to a DSLR. The H1 is a nice camera, but the pictures it takes cannot compare to even an entry level DSLR from a quality standpoint. I'm not familiar with the T-50, so I can't say if your lenses are compatible with the current Canon Dslr's...it would be great if they were, but don't let that stop you if they're not.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 7:26 PM   #5

THANKS !! I might get the alpha and sell the other as a pkg on ebay. I guess I should probablystick with Sony since I am familiar with the cameras..Thanks for your input, it helped me to make up my mind...HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

Old Dec 31, 2006, 8:27 PM   #6

Before you decide to stick with Sony, go to a camera store and handle all the cameras in your price range - Sony, Pentax, Canon and Nikon. They are all different weights and sizes, and some people prefer a smaller or a larger camera. See if all the controls are at a comfortable position for you. You might find that one of the other cameras would be more comfortable for you. I ended up buying a lighter camera than the one I went into the store to buy - I'm a hiker and weight is important.

I don't know anything about Canon, but some Canon lenses are compatible with today's dSLR while others are not. Being able to use your old lens would save you money (I have a Pentax and saved quite a bit by being able to use my 25 year old fast prime lenses,plus I bought a top-of-the-line long tele used that isn't made any more and I love it!).

Don't get hung up on the number of pixels, unless you are planning on printing posters or significantly cropping a picture (like if you spend most of your time shooting wildlife). I can show you an extreme example of what I mean - right after I got the Pentax K10, I decided I needed to sell off one of my 50mm lenses (I have two, a 1.7 and a 1.4). I shot several pictures with both the K10 (10 mp) and the K100 (6 mp) using the two lenses, switching them around occasionally. I then took the full frame pictures and resized them to fit here - you can't tellby looking at them which was taken with the10 mp camera (you can if you look at 100% crops).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:02 PM   #7

If you buy a DSLR, you will spend many times more for lenses than the body ever cost you...make sure you get the best system you can afford if you take that approach.

Personally, if I was burning to spend cash, I might get the Sony R1 & wait to see what they do with future DSLR's....for my style of shooting.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:29 PM   #8

Do you think that the R-1 is better than the H-1 that I have? Thanks !!
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:11 PM   #9

Yes and no. Everything in photography is a compromise, and the R-1 is no exception.

The picture quality willprobablybe better than the H1 because of its larger sensor (but check the sample photos in the various reviews here - that will give you a better idea of quality. I've never actually shot pictures with either camera). However, its a fixed lens camera and the lens isn't very long. It has a 24 - 120mm (35mm equivalent)lens, which is really good for wide angle, but very short as a telephoto. Your H1, on the other hand, is equivalent to 36mm - 432mm, not as wide but a whole lot longer. What do you think of the lens on your H1? Are you going to want a similar reach? Or are you more concerned with wide angle and slightly telephoto pictures? There's no right or wrong answer to that one - some people would love the range of the R1. In my case I never seriously considered the R1 because I really wanted something longer than my Sony F717, which was equivalent to 180mm.

Just my personal opinion, but I think Sony isn't going to go away as far asthe dSLR cameras go. So I wouldn'tlet that stop me from getting the Alpha, though I still think if you are serious aboutgetting a dSLR, you should look atmore thanjust the Sony. That way you'llknow both what its strengths are, as well as its weaknesses.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:23 PM   #10

The lense on the camera is OK, although I bought a wide angle and a telescopic. When sony came out with the mavica I was one of the first on board, $ 1800.00. and then they got better and smaller. Lastyear I bought the H-1 and now the alpha is out. There is always something better...THANKS for your help...Happy New Year !!