Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2006, 5:34 PM   #1

Hello to all,

I currently own a Kodak Z612 but, I am really interested in the Sony H5. Do any of you wonderful people have some advice. I want to know if it is a wise decision to switch????? Please Help!!!!!!

Thank you,

Mark
bathtubantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 5:49 PM   #2

What do you hope to gain by switching? What do you think the H5 willl do for you that the Kodak isn't? The Kodak isn't taking good pictures?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:35 AM   #3

Thank you for the response; from what I have been reading it appears as though the H5 may be a better camera overhaul, even though I am satisfied with the z612. The z612 takes great pictures and I am still learning how to use it completely. I was just looking for a little input on which one the forum thought might be a better camera.

Thank you
bathtubantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:08 PM   #4

Mark,

In my opinion, the H5 is a better camera. Does that mean I think you should switch? No! There has to be a better reason than that. That's why I asked you what you hoped to accomplish by switching. Should you plunk down over $400 for a new camera because it has a couple of features that you will never use? Should you plunk down $7,000.00 for an even better new camera? Would that be a wise decision? Better is only better when it's better for you.

There are probably a hundred cameras out there better than the Z612. The only time it's wise to upgrade is when you find one that will significantly impact the quality of the photos you prefer to take.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:31 PM   #5

Hey Mark, I echo what rinniethehun is saying... the H5 is a small, incremental upgrade from your Z612. If you could sell your Z612 and pay only and extra $50 for the H5, then it may be worth it. You would then have to switch your media to Sony's Memory Stick, so that is an additional expense.

If you are happy wioth the Z612, stick with it, especially if you are enamoured of Kodak's color - no other line of cameras produces the same kind of color as Kodak. I have a C875 and have to say that the color is rich, vibrant, almost over the top but not quite. I am not saying that Kodak's color is better or worse than any other camera, but it is unique and something you would lose switching to Sony.

Finally, there may or may not be new ultra-zooms introduced in upcoming months. If I were you, I would wait to see what improvements are in store for 2007 over 2006.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote