Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2007, 4:35 PM   #1

Hi everyone!
I currently have a Nikon Coolpiz 5900 which I bought just over a year and a half ago. I'm happy with it, but I do tend to get attracted to newer and more updated cameras, especially when it comes to their LCD size.

I don't live in the US so I only get a few chances a year to buy a camera. My plan was to keep the 5900 until I go to the states next, in a year. My dad is flying to NY in a few weeks and now I've been looking on the web at the latest cameras and the Nikon Coolpix S6 and S7c have really made me think. The 2 inch screen on my current camera is already bugging me, I have a big weakness for large LCD screens...It's not just the LCD of course, that's just a major factor.

So I'm asking- Should I keep my current coolpix 5900 for another year and then when I'm in the states next buy what ever will be available which would be better than the S6/S7c, or should I sell my 5900 now, add in a little bit of money to it and buy the coolpix S6/S7c?

Thanks in advance!
Superstarsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:08 AM   #2

Anyone out there?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:45 PM   #3

Have you checked out any reviews? Nikon point-n-shoot cameras tend to rate pretty low. I've handled several over the last few years and found them lacking in both performance and, more importantly, image quality. Nikon has made a name for itself with great DSLR's, but while the reputation has followed to the point-n-shoot class, the quality has not. If you want to upgrade your camera, look at Canon, Fuji, Sony or Panasonic.

imo, of course.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:46 PM   #4

I actually kind of agree. My 5900 has never proven to be a top quality camera picture wise, but I'm kind of a Nikon fanboy so it's hard letting go...
I'm not saying that the 5900 doesn't please me performance wise, because it does especially in the movie mode, it's just sometimes I fell it could do better.
But overall if I'de still to Nikon and buy the S7C would I find myself disappointed?
If by any chance I don't go for the S6/S7C I could alsways go for the Canon SD630

BTW I'm just wondering if you could help me decide whether I should buy a camera now or not, I could sell my 5900 now and buy a new one within a month or keep the 5900 until I fly to the states next which should be in about a years time when newer cameras are out?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:33 PM   #5

Well, it's always good to be grounded in reality...

I'm pretty brand-independent in my camera choices; over the past 2 years I've owned 2 Canons, a Kodak(!) and a Fuji, and have purchased Sony for my fiance and my brother.

My own preference for an ultra-compact camera would include optical image stabilization. To me, it is difficult to hold an light untra-compact steady for clear pictures with a shutter slower than 1/30s. My Fuji S6000fd ultrazoom I can usually get to 1/8s. My Kodak C875 I'm good for 1/20s.

I've read some dissatisfied posts regarding the Canon SD800IS - many people feel it's image quality is worse than the SD700IS and the SD550. I don't really know where the SD630 enters the equation.

Any chance you could go for something a bit larger? I'm thinking the Canon A710IS, which is approximately the same size as the Nikon L5. The A710IS has gotten very good reviews, has image stabilization, 2.5" LCD, uses AA batteries and has long battery life. The downside to the camera is that it has a slow flash-recycle time.

If not, perhaps the Sony DSC-T10/30/50 - the T30/50 have a huge 3" LCD and all of them have IS.

As far as when to buy a camera, I'd say most major-brand cameras at ~$200 or more are better than what you have now. I'm sure the S7C would be a significant improvement over the 5900. DCResource.com has a review of the S6, as does Steve.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:32 PM   #6

First of all thanks for the replies!

This may sound silly to you, but unless the camera I buy has a 3 inch screen I won't buy a camera now and wait a year. One of my greater weaknesessis large LCD screens! When I bought the 5900 I thought the 2 inch screen would do, but apparently the average these days is already 2.5inch screens. So you see, by buying a camera with a 2.5 inch screen, I'm not going to be as 'future proof', I know that I will desperetly want a new camera in no time. So I won't make the same mistake again.

I know that's not a very serious reason, but I look at the camera from within and without and try and balance the two.

The S7C is very attracting, but I agree that image quality wise, it isn't one of the best. This narrows down the choice significatly...Maybe I should just wait out a year before I buy a new camera, you never know what next year will bring us.