Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:46 AM   #1

I would like to buy a dSLR for outdoor shooting, mainly landscapes, occasionally some close-ups too. It is the beauty of the nature that I want to catch.

Concerning that, it seems to me that I should be focused on faithfull colour reproduction and should not worry about speed performance.

I read some reviews and my favourites are cheaper or older models of Nikon and Canon. There are also favorable reviews about Fujifilm S3 pro. Does its wide dynamic range make it more interesting choise for me? I'm open for other models too and have patience if some streching of the budget is needed.

I am not an expert, but photography is becoming more and more serious hobby for me. Thank You in advance for any advice regarding the subject including body-lens combinations, additional lens and other accessoirs.
mirkoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:06 PM   #2

What's your budget?
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:33 PM   #3

My budget is arround 1000$ at the moment, but as I am not in a hurry, I'm ready to save some more.
Is it a good idea to buy cameras in Dubai or similar places because of lower prices than in Europe?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:49 PM   #4

I have the Pentax K100D and have been delighted with the results. I do mostly landscape and macro, and have been recently trying my hand at birding.

Whatever you buy, be sure to get quality lenses - they make a big difference with landscapes. The nice thing about the Pentax is that it can use any Pentax lens (all K mounts and screw mounts with an adaptor) ever made - I'm happily using a 50mm 1.7 lens I bought new in 1980. That means that you can sometimes find some fine old lenses for less than a new equivalent (though if the lens was originally a manual lens, it won't suddenly become autofocus).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:03 AM   #5

Thank You mtngal. I do have many questions and some of them are:

How much is reasonable to pay for solid wideangle lens?

Could you reccomend any good books on landscape shooting? I saw some on Amazon, but haven't decided yet.

What kind of accessoires do You use?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:32 AM   #6

After some additional research, cameras thatseem tofit my needs/budget and have interestig features are Canon 400D (self cleaning sensor, compact and light), Pentax K100D (shake reduction) and K10D (self cleaning sensor and shake reduction,
weather and dust resistant).

I understand that a tripod is necessary for longer exposures and I am surely going to buy one and also carry it on most ofmy hiking or canoe trips.On the other hand, I might want to go out without the extra weight and bulk.

How much is shake reduction usefulinslowing down the camera so that it really matters when shooting landscapes?

If it is, isit preferable to the conveniency of a self cleaning sensor?

K10Dcould bea logical answer to my question (not to stupidI hope), butI haveseenonly one review yet, andthere iscriticism about its in-camera JPEG processing.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:19 AM   #7

mirkoc,

Anti shake could be very useful depending on the types of shots you want to take - sunrise/sunset often require longer exposures so anti shake can definitely help.

However, a good tripod/head is well worth it - not just for stability but because it forces you to slow down and think more. Most good landscape photographers will tell you - the best shots are planned shots.

Overall, I can't tell you whether anti-shake or anti-dust is more useful to YOU. I have a camera that uses anti shake in the lenses. I have some lenses with it and some without. To me it's not that big of a feature - it really isn't. To other people it's very important. By the same token, I look at the anti-dust feature as just one more thing in the camera that can break. I've cleaned my sensor several times and it's no big deal - takes 5-20 minutes (depending on how stubborn a dust spec can be) and I have to do it about every 6 months or so.

I will say this - you mentioned canoing. I'm going to bet you a good deal of money that Mr. Murphy of Murphy's Law fame will jump in that canoe with you as soon as you have a DSLR. My point is this: make sure you invest in a water proof bag to carry your DSLR in because the fact that you have a $1000 piece of electronic gear will increase your liklihood of tipping by about 10000%

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:52 PM   #8

I'm one of those who benefits from SR - I went from being marginal with a 200mm lens to routinely handholding a 300 lens (reasonable light). There are all kinds of options for wide angle lenses- I'm using an old 24mm manuallens that is as wide as I normally want. I've thought about the Pentax 10-17mm lens (has good reputation) but it runs around $500 last time I checked.

I have both the K10 and the K100 - wanted the weather seals and the on-body controls with the K10 -and have found that the extra mp come in handy for birds and wildlife. The K100 does better in low light (not surprising - in general higher mp mean more noise, and the K10 does have more noise). Pentax does not have any sealed lenses yet - it is expected that the new lenses coming out this spring will be sealed - I'll most likely upgrade one of my lenses then. The K10 is a much more complicated camera, the K100 is no slouch as far as being a capable camera, though. The K10 can easily be more camera than many will need, and in these conditions, the K100 would be a better buy.

As far as accessories - I use a polarizer quite often and have both a monopod and a tripod that I use occasionally. For lenses, I have about 5 lenses (2 manual fast primes,the DA 50-200 zoom, a 300mm prime, and a 100mm macro)that I use often, along with one more I use occasionally (the kit lens). You can easily get by with the kit lens and the DA 50-200 for most landscapes, with a macro lens for close-up flowers and bugs.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:36 AM   #9

Thank You all. You have been helpfull.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 2:58 PM   #10

A logical question is simply this: do you really need a 10mp DSLR? In large measure, most of my landscapes are done on a tripod, making the lens the largest factor in the equation. 10mp would be usefull if you were going to be doing 16" X 20" prints. But how often are you printing at 16" X 20"?

I have been very happy with the result I have achieved when using a Nikon D-50 or D-50 and my Nikkor 12-24mm lens, You could save a bit of money by going to the recently introduced Sigma 10-20mm lens or the Tokina 12-24mm lens. However, those three lenses are just about the best for excellent landscapes.

The Pentax K100D with the Sigma 10-20mm or the Tokina 12-24mm is the other option I would consider.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote