Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Is it worth going for an image stabiliser?
a) Go for it 6 100.00%
b) Dont go for it 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 3, 2007, 2:08 PM   #11

Thanks JohnG and meanstreak.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 2:09 PM   #12

Regarding F30, I think this would be an awesome cam if it had IS and 28mm lens.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 3:23 PM   #13

Hi Ajay. I don't mean to make things more complicated for you, but if you're comparing two completely different cameras, one with IS and one without, there may be other factors to consider. One camera may be substantially more sensitive than the other in some cases. For example, if the non-IS camera is able to obtain the same exposure and the same quality image as the IS camera but at twice the shutter speed, that would be a bigger advantage if you're mostly shooting people or action.

An example would be the Panasonic FZ30 vs the Fuji S9000. The FZ30 had IS and the S9000 did not, but the S9000 had cleaner images at higher ISO settings, and could therefore use faster shutter speeds. I went with the FZ30 because for my style of shooting, I prefer to use lower ISO settings, shoot and longer telephoto lengths and don't need as much speed.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 5:21 PM   #14

While IS is more important at longer focal lengths, I think it is also often pretty useful on these small P&S cameras at shorter lengths.

A heavier camera like a DSLR can sometimes be easier to hold steady when pressing the shutter. Some of these point and shoot cameras are so small and lightweight that it is easier to introduce some shake from the shutter press. So IS has become popular on these models even without long zoom.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 6:06 PM   #15

Quote:
While IS is more important at longer focal lengths, I think it is also often pretty useful on these small P&S cameras at shorter lengths. A heavier camera like a DSLR can sometimes be easier to hold steady when pressing the shutter. Some of these point and shoot cameras are so small and lightweight that it is easier to introduce some shake from the shutter press. So IS has become popular on these models even without long zoom.
I have found this observation to be abundantly true when switching between my Fuji S6000fd and my Kodak C875.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 1:05 PM   #16

Panasonic is right to equip any digicam with true image stabilisation. That puts pressure also on other manufacturers. Canon, the inventor of image stabilisation, has finally reacted and released two additional IS models, the A710 and G7. Hopefully the successor of the Canon S80 will get IS as well.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote