Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:34 PM   #1

Hey all,

My girlfriend is a serious hobbyist and wants to upgrade her aging coolpix 4300. She has been looking into a nikon d70s but the camera body is very large and she doesn't feel like she would have it with her all the time. Is there a point and shoot that gives full control over white balance and f-stop? Shes takes photos of buildings and lots of low light stuff.

I guess a smaller slr type camera would be cool. But full manual control is a must.

Ok thanks for taking the time to read this and we await the experts:lol:
JSt0rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:05 PM   #2

Anybody? Even a couple cameras she can look into would be nice.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:57 PM   #3

I think that the Fuji FinePix F30 is accepted as one of the best, if not the best. small point and shoot cameras. It has just 3X optical zoom, though. For much of the same low light capability, try the Fuji FinePix S6000fd. It has a 10.7X optical zoom, and I think full manual controls. It's almost as big as a DSLR. The F30 costs under $250 after rebate at online retailers. The S6000fd costs in the low 300's after rebate from online retailers. I like www.buydig.com for decent prices and fast delivery.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 5:05 PM   #4

Canon G7
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 5:19 PM   #5

I would agree with robbo's Fuji S6000 suggestion. The S6000 has manual shutter and aperture priority, a manual focus ring, a manual zoom ring, and 8 white balance settings, including custom. In addition, it has a 28 to 300mm zoom lens, a super-macro mode focusing down to 1 cm, and ISO 3200 capability. Short of going DSLR, this is probably about as good as you're gonna get - especially for low light stuff.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:40 PM   #6

I know she wants to have a fully adjustable white balance. Would this be the custom setting on the 6000?

Thanks for the detailed responses
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:56 PM   #7

Does the canon g7 have the total white balance controls? If I see a custom setting for whitebalance under specs for any camera does that mean that the white balance is totally customizable? or just within some range.

Just by looking at it this camera seems to be a good balance between size and features. I'm gonna read over the reviews on both this and the 6000. The 6000 seems to be a fairly large camera though.

Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:00 PM   #8

The custom setting would entail shooting a piece of white paper, illuminated by the light source to be used in the actual picture...I assume that's what you mean by fully adjustable? The other options include Auto, Incandescent, Daylight, Shade, and three colors of Fluorescent.

the Hun

EDIT - can't spell
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:07 PM   #9

Actually she likes to tweak the white balance. So she likes to be able to further adjust the white balance with in each setting (-3 to +3 resolution). Do any of these cameras do this?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:17 PM   #10

The S6000 permits exposure compensation of -2 to +2 EV in 0.3 EV steps.

the Hun