Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 29, 2007, 7:35 PM   #11

thanks mtclimber

those photos look great at iso 200!

my decision boils down to this

on the one hand I could get an FZ7 and be very happy BUT....if I can afford the 30/50...I then add a wired remote and in the 50's case TTL flash (I heard my FL20 olympus flash will operate in TTL mode on it....I don't know if that flash is actually an improvement over the 30/50's internal flash though)

yes I want to have my cake and eat it too...too spoled by my dinky little c-5000 with so many features including a hotshoe AND being able to use both internalAND external flash at the same time AND a wireless remote

with the fz30/50....I would probable never need the c-5000 again

but I have heard the fz7 is great in low light while the fz 30/50 aren't.....butfew talk about what settings they had the camera at when they tried in lower light or was it just difficult to see the lcd or did they use a flash or flash slave

on the the other hand my budget is tight

but I could sell the c-5000

my brain hurts

gregg
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 7:51 PM   #12

gregg-

I had sold my FZ-20 and FZ-30 just because they were so poor in existing light. Just recently, I had a good friend share with me that he had purchased a FZ-7 as a sidekick camera to his Nikon D-200, when he did not want to carry the whole DSLR kit with him.

I can't honestly take credit for "the ISO 200 and under rule" with the FZ-7. At first I could not believe it. However, I was able to buiy a FZ-7 with a 30 day return possibility, so I decided to do my own tests. I did the test and was amazed, because I like the Leica lens on the FZ cameras. It works.

So, yes, I do think that the FZ-7 handles existing light a bit differently than the FZ-20, FZ-30, and perhaps the FZ-50 as well, though I have not done any shooting with the FZ-50. I just know that in the 45 days I have had the FZ-7, I have been really impressed with my existing light photos.

The FL-20 is a very small strobe with low output, and it is setup with the contacts in the proper pattern or position for Olympus cameras. I use it with my Olympus SP-350 and it does a nice job as long as you hold down the camera to subject distance. I very much doubt that it would work on the FZ-30 or the FZ-50.

Here is another FZ-7 photo taken at ISO 200, handheld with no flash with just room lighting.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:58 PM   #13

check out this forum on DPreview...posted photos from the FZ50 with the FL50 olympus flash...I hear the AF beam may not work...but you have the one in the camera anyway

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=21736802

one of the panasonic flashes looks way to much like the fl40 or 50

you're photo looks good considering you didn't use the flash...I would have used a flash and dropped it to 100 iso....I'm not crazy about that choppy look...I get that on my c-3040 in 200 or my c-5000 at 160 iso.

Quote:
I had sold my FZ-20 and FZ-30 just because they were so poor in existing light
ok....forgive me, but I have to ask...does that mean it was poor because......you couldn't view the lcd?....or couldn't get the camera to lock focus? orit was just poor without a flash (Iam fine in low light if I have to use either an internal or external flash)

and what is your definition of existing light?

thanks again

gregg
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:10 PM   #14

FYI

also from a forum on DPreview.com
Quote:
"...I bought the FZ50 from beachcamera and the FL50 from buydig.com in December - same company, different websites (I bought from beach and the package and shipping info was labeled buydig). beach/buydig were easy to deal with, no pressure, inexpensive and fast. Would recommend them. Consider the Oly off-camera cable when you're ready to mount it on a bracket or tripod - it preserves the TTL functions. It is so cool to hear the flash re-focus when you zoom the camera!! It also goes to sleep when the camera does, and wakes up with it as well - totally integrated. Love the combination - once you try TTL you never go back!!"
gregg
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:23 PM   #15

while I agree with everything you are saying....

it might be a bit unfair to talk about "existing light photos" while your friend has one of the best cameras in the world, the d200 (yes, I'm envious)...almost every other camera becomes very second rate

whatever I get will be my only camera for possibly a few years

If I can shoot indoors at 100 iso, 1/30 second, with a flash andget great photos...I will be happy

maybe it was my imagination...it seemed that in every gallery of photos...the photos from the FZ30 always looked better....or more "DSLR like"

the question is will I be happy with the 30/50 indoors with a flash?

gregg

Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:36 PM   #16

Gregg-

WellI am surprized! An Olympus FL-50 working full TTL with a Panny FZ-50. That is amazing. That being true, Gregg, the FL-20 should work on a FZ-30, but do you really want to spent that kind of $$?

I am happy with my FZ-7 and the slave flash. It works fine and I do not have to invest anymore money. I am pleased with my FZ-7 and am happy to go with that camera. Without investing anymore $$.

That works for me. And I feel that I have some great photos to show for it. To each his own!

MT/Sarah

Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:58 PM   #17

again that all makes sense to me

1) but I already own an FL-20 (down the road I could get something better on ebay)

2) I will have the remote ability (albeit with a wire)

3) I will have TTL ability with an fz50

4) I could sell my c-5000 (with tele-adaptors, filters and 512 card)to help offset the cost as I won't need that anymore for those rare times I need remote capability that the FZ7 doesn't offer

But I keep coming back to the original question, will I be happy with it's performance in low light?

I feel another headache on the way

thanks sarah

gregg
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:02 PM   #18

gregg-

All I can share with you is this: I found in the FZ-7 a great deal better low light level/no flash performance than I had ever found on the FZ-30. Best of luck to you!

MT/Sarah
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:12 PM   #19

thanks again

out of curiousity...how far were you from that musician and what shutter speed did you use? that's a great photo

concert and indoor sporting events, in my opinion are the toughest photos to take

gregg
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:49 PM   #20

Thanks, gregg-

I was about 30 feet from the musician, and the shutter speed was 1/40th. It worked out quite well. That is why I really like the FZ-7.

MT/Sarah