Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:24 PM   #1

have to say Im completely dissapointed with a DSLR camera. It just wasnt for me. I didnt realize a few things when I got home with it. Theres no video, You cant view the screen while taking a picture. And the darn thing is bigger than the biggest SuperZoom Digital when you attach the lense. ForME personally for what I wanted it seemed like a step down when I found the picture quality not that much better than my G7 in good light in side or outside. The dark is a another matter where the Nikon for sure rules.I bought it because I wanted something with 12 times zoom like the 3 in question below.

Amyways for my question I would sure like to hear opinions on what camera is an overall better camera the Canon S3-IS or the Panasonic DMC-FZ50 and finally the Panasonic DMC-FZ30. Ive read every review for all of them but I cant get a sense as to what is better.

Thanks for any help.
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:48 PM   #2

sounds to me you were looking for a donkey but found a pedigree horse instead.
anyway, your post is hilarious!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:54 PM   #3

Well, if you want something with the image quality of a DSLR, but much less bulky and with much simpler controls, maybe you should try the Leica M8.

Kidding.

Seriously, I think you would probably be happy with the S3. The Panasonics have very good image quality in good light, but aren't good in lower light. Alot of people who already have a DSLR for more demanding conditions like them as a seond camera. But I'd guess you would rather return the D50 and have an all-in-one solution.

The S3 is one of the most popular models of it's type. The other superzooms you might consider comparing it to are the Sony H2 or H5, and the Fuji S6000. The Fuji will come closest to the DSLR abilities in lower light but it lacks the IS feature which the other cameras have.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 2:14 AM   #4

I can't really compare the Canon to either of the Panasonics, but I'd take the FZ30 over the FZ50 because of it's lower noise levels. The FZ50 is better at noise reduction, but from what I've seen 10 megapixels was just too much for that sensor.

I own the FZ30 myself. It was between that and the Fuji S9000 (comparable to the S6000 but with longer reach). I thought the FZ30 was better overall, but basically if you want to shoot more scenery and nature, the Panasonic is better because the stabilizer allows for clean low light shots and slower speeds at long telephoto. If you want to shoot more action, the Fuji is better because of it's higher ISO performance and therefore faster shutter speeds.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 3:07 AM   #5
Super Moderator

You could also try the new Canon G7.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 3:28 AM   #6

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
You could also try the new Canon G7.
Thanks I have the G7 and have been very satisfied with it. But the zoom is kind of limited. And a good zoom camera would make for a great setup between the two. When im in crowded places people barely notice my black G7. My wife said from a distance it kind of looks like your holding a big cellphone.
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:08 PM   #7

You went and bought one of the best cameras ever made. I have a Panasonic FZ-30 and with good light is a great camera for photos or video. That said I have a Nikon D-80 being delivered on Monday. I already have the new 70-300 VR lens and a 18-70 will be here Tuesday. A DSL camera is just that much better than the FZ-30 which I love and will not part with. Use the D-50 for awhile and you'll fall in love with it.
ark.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:14 PM   #8

Well, it's time for my two sense. With apologies to Serafin, Iwas so dissapointed with Canon. Don't get me wrong, the G7 may take some of the best photos out there. HUH? But I am so tiredof manufacturers stripping down their cameras and then bragging about how they raise raise the megapixels.....because we all need 8 or 10mp crammed into that tiny ccd. The G series were trulysome of the best in point and shoot cameras ever made..NOW..the swing out LCD...gone, the wireless remote...gone, the raw mode...gone,....fast lens...almost gone...

I find it so perplexing...go back to 2000...my 3mp Olympus c-3040...1.8 lens and a wireless remote...now maybe one olympus has a remote....and the current line up...well...let's be polite and say mediocre...I would have thought all better cameras would have had a1.8 lens and a remote, silly me.Four years ago, Iwas able to takea picture of a cat outside at night - almost total darkeness and no problem focusing - camera was handheld...and no AF beam

But...I've never had a long zoom...so that's why I narrowed it down to 3...two panasonics and the canon S3 (although I'm not crazy about the softer images on the canon at wider f-stops)....and I ruled out the sony H5...I wear glasses and one look throught the viewfinderwas all I needed...because the eyepiece was so far out, it was like looking down a tunnel and I couldn't focus the evf...maybe there was a diopter adjustment...I wasn't sure...but I just didn't like the feel of that camera anyway...felt like a computer in my hand...I want that DSLR feel!

Right now, I'm leaning toward the FZ7 for budget reasons...but I may try to come up with enough for an FZ30...if I see any good buys

The strange thing is the fz50 is dropping in price while the fz30 has remained somewhat stable in price since the fz50's introduction...there are on line dealers that sell the fz50 for about $460-500 and the FZ30 for about the same

The only meaningful difference for me seems to be the TTL function for the flash...but that would mean spending quite a bit for one whe I suppose I could use a slave on any of the models

4 questions...

1)can a slave be left on the hot shoe on the fz30/50 since it doesn't fire with the connection underneath anyway, or will this alsoblock the internal flash and prevent it from popping up and thusI must use aflash bracketif I want to use aslave?

2) with all this put down in low light...what if you are in a living room with onlyone or two75 watt bulbs?...or even a dark restaurant...will the camera focus and lock? I have to assume it will do a better job than my olympus c-5000...I am assuming everything is relative....and with the AF beamand IS it should be a vast improvement over my (much older) olympus cameras? And can you use either the LCD or EVF in low light?

3)Does anyone know if there is a difference in low light performance between the 30 and the 50?

4)I keep hearing that the the 30/50 are "notgreat in low light"....but most don't finish the statement.....say, because the internal flash isn't powerful enough and you will get better photos using an external flash or make sure you turn up the EV settings and don't shoot higher than 100iso...Can you share your experiences with using these cameras/flashin low light?

thanks everyone
gregg
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 4:52 PM   #9

gregg-

I recently purchased a Panasonic FZ-7, and I have really have enjoyed the camera a lot. I was alsoconcerned about a lot about noise. After a lot of experimenting, I have found that the FZ-7 will be almost noise free, if you limit the ISO setting to ISO 200 and below.

You can still do a lot of excellent photos at ISO 200 and below and the results look excellent. I am attaching an ISO 200/no flashsample to you.

As to flash: when I need more light, so that I don't raise the ISO above 200, I just use a slave flash and it works out well.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 5:15 PM   #10

gregg-

Here is a FZ-7 indoor/no flash handheld shot that I just took using ISO 200. There is no post processing at all. This is right out of the camera.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote