Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2007, 3:03 PM   #1

I am putting all features between the two aside.

I just dont understand why Canon did not incorporate the OIS into the SD900 model.

Will photos taken with the 900 be NOT AS SHARP AS THE 800 due to lack of OIS, or does the 900 have other circuitry that will sharpen the images as well as the 800?

Thanks,

Insp2750
insp2750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:29 PM   #2

I am curious about this too. Which and why?
Skripo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:35 PM   #3

I have no idea why they decided on what features. The SD900 uses a larger 1/1.8 sensor. That evidently caused them to reduce the zoom range. If I had to guess why they left the OIS off I would say they used the excellent lens from the SD550, which also has a 1/1.8 sensor and 3X zoom. The lens specs are exactly the same.

Without OIS you will not get images as sharp in limited light with the SD900 compared to the SD700 or SD800. Once the camera can generate enough shutter or with flash the OIS isn't very significant.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 9:37 AM   #4

So Would You Say That I Would Be Better Off Going With The SD700 Over The SD900 For The Money?
KissMySVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:12 AM   #5

KissMySVT wrote:
Quote:
So Would You Say That I Would Be Better Off Going With The SD700 Over The SD900 For The Money?

6 Mb is plenty for most people. You can make a very good 11 X 14 print from a 6Mp image. But people don't usually buy cameras for large prints. 10Mp lets you crop more.

I really like that Canon has continued with the larger 1/1.8 sensor in pocket cameras – I had thought they abandoned it. The SD900 seems to be the only 10Mp pocket camera on the market with decent ISO400 noise without excessive in-camera noise reduction.

But if you don't need the extra Mp I think the SD800 is a better camera for most use. I like optical stabilization and the SD800 is also good at ISO400. The extra zoom range is also good.

I prefer wide angle to extra telephoto in a pocket camera, so I would opt for the SD800 even though I would really like the extra pixels with the extra sensor size. I have come to like optical stabilization.

I have no way of knowing whether you would have use for the extra pixels. If you normally take pictures in bright light or turn the flash on the OIS won't make much difference either. They are both excellent little cameras. There is only $21 difference in price from Beach Camera, which came out the cheapest in my search when shipping is included.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:43 PM   #6

KissMySVT - I haven't used the 900 but I did have a chance to compare the 700 and the 800 side by side.Before that I was skeptical of all the reviews I read from people who did not like the 800. Sadly, I quickly joined their camp after hands on experience.

I bought the 700 and am extremely happy with it. It's a great all round camera. Wonderful color and clarity outdoors and very nice flash exposure indoors.

Good luck with your choice!
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote