Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 7, 2007, 4:07 PM   #1

so guys, actually, i'm from brazil, and here, the cams is very expensive, too much, really... so, i have a friend that is working at disney, and she will back at january ends, so i thinked to ask for her to buy one cam at newegg for me...

so, i selected a some models of good brands, that have optical zoom and make good movies, this was the mais search criteria... so, there are these models to choose:

Kodak C743, but at cnet' reviews, this cam has a lot of noisy...

HP R725, i can't say too much, cause i don't knoe hp cameras

OLYMPUS FE-180, i can say that olympus is a good brand, but cnet says that the images are good, but the features...

Kodak C340, that seems good, and comes with dock..

Nikon COOLPIX L6, that doesn't seem so good...

FUJIFILM FinePix v10, that is good, and beautiful lcd..

and FUJIFILM FinePix A700 that have a lot of pixels...

so, my first look was to v10... it seems to be very cool, and of quality, but, some revies says other things... and, one of my priority is to make videos at high quality... that all of those do... i really prefer li-ion batery, but, if be AA, i don't botter, since has quuality...

i don't have too much time, cause she is coming back, and i have to talk with she, so, can somebody help me??? i'd get the v10, but i'm afraid... it's my first cam, and i coudln't lose money buying a poor cam... it's important to remeber, i like of cams that we can have some manual config, to learn, and adjust settings... and, i'll take photos from family, and artisitc photos, i little photographer, i say...

i'm sorry if i'm asking too much, but i'm novice, and i need help, it's my first buy... i apologize any inconvenience, and apreciatte any help... i'm sorry by my engglish, too...
ceboli_nha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:36 PM   #2

nobody??? i really need help of somebody...
Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:22 PM   #3

How much do you plan to spend and what will be taking pictures of most of the time?

I bought a refurbished Fuji FinePix E550 from newegg 2 months ago. Except for in lowlight settings, it's a great budget camera.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:43 AM   #4

the price, i've already choose, and are these cams that is inside of the price... actually, i'm looking for a cam that may be until $160, cause i'm thinking in buy a memory card and an additional battery...

this camera would be for my family, so we're gonna use for portraits, parties, make movies, and i, i will use for natural photos, macros, nioght photods...

thak you by the help...
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:58 AM   #5

Your needs are very wide and your budget is rather limited. The Kodaks are probably the easiest cameras to use. I will suggest either the Canon A530 or the A540. They are easy to use and have 4X optical zoom and have lots of manual controls which you may want to use as you go on.

For low light, the Fuji F20 and F30 are the best but they cost more than you want to spend.

Good luck!
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:04 AM   #6

i saw the f20 and f30, but they are a little expensive...

the a530 and a540 are a good suggest, but, just the a540 make movies with 30 fps... i really like the manual controls of the canon cameras, and people say that they are very good, but, i thinked that the qaulity is not so good... i saw the review here, in steve's, and thay are a bit expensive, and there are others cameras with a better quality but with lower price... it's my opinion...

but thank you, i'll read more reviews about a540, and maybe, i can buy, 'cause it's just 174.99...

thak you again...
Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:17 PM   #7

Go here for another review of the A540:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...t_a540-review/

Another camera you might consider at a similar price range is the Kodak C875. Easy to use, nice 5X optical zoom. 8 megapixel images. It's $186 at Newegg.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:39 PM   #8

thank you robbo, you are helping me a lot... but, i loved a540, 'cause the image quality and the manual configuration... you can setup everything, and take good photos... but there is a problem: canon doesn't have warranty here in brazil, so, if something happen, i'm really *****... so, i'll need a camera seemed with a540, but of another brand... i'll read about this model thay you said...

really, really thank you..
Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:01 PM   #9

there are people that don't think this camera so good. look:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Kodak_EasySh...7646&tag=uolst

http://reviews.cnet.com/Kodak_EasySh...4296&tag=uolst
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:03 PM   #10

The average rating for that camera at CNET was 7.9 out of 10. You chose the two worst reviews. One gave it a 5 because of video problems which he resolved with NIMH rechargeable batteries, and he revised his rating to a 7. The other low rater had problems with batteries. A comment written in response to this rating said that it could be resolved with a firmware upgrade.

If there are 20 ratings on any camera, it is likely that somebody won't rate it highly.

However, my suggestion is this. If this is going to be a one time purchase of a camera that you won't replace for several years, try to up your budget to $200. The quality of cameras available is better for the cameras close to that price.

For a fairly positive review of the C875, go to:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ko...ew/index.shtml