Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:15 AM   #1

My Sony f717 looks like having more ccd problems. Had replaced 9months ago but now have orange tint on view finder. I can't wait for another Sony service centre fix as I do Real Estate photography and can't afford the down time. I will buy a new camera in next 24 hours. Problem is it need to be able to use Raynox DCR-CF185Pro conversion lens. Looking at Sony cameras seems H5 will work but R1 looks like a much better camera. Question is will R1 work with this lens, should I go for H5 or any other suggestion would be great. I really need to use this fisheye as I have just got really comfortable with this lens. Your suggestions would be really appreciated.

Mike
mgillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:49 AM   #2

For the Sony R1, you need a lens adaptor called he VAD-RA, I think, to add lenses. It costs between $60 and $80 plus tax and shipping. The R1 was a bargain about 3 months ago, going for under $700 online. However, the price has shot back up. I think you will need a step down or step up ring for putting your Raynox lens on almost anything.

How would an angle shot do you want to be able to make? I have a brother who is in real estate, who is perfectly happy with the 24mm equivalent shots of his Nikon Coolpix 8400. The Kodak P880 is also capable of such wide angle shots. You can get it online for less than $350 at Beach camera.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I don't mind paying for the step up ring. My main concern was that the Raynox site did not mention the R1 and I was concerned that maybe the camera did not work with this lense. I already have to use a step down ring now as lens in 62mm and f717 is 58mm. As I said earlier main concern is that lense will work with the R1 via a converter.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:20 PM   #4

Step rings are cheap (less than $20). You can easily get them on Ebay or at most chain camera stores like Ritz.

My question was this: Do you need single shot 180 degree panoramas? And, if you need them, would you be willing to try another brand camera like the Kodak P880?

If the answer is yes, and purchase price makes a difference to you, you can probably save some money.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 3:46 AM   #5

Hi Robbo

Again thanks for reply. When I decided to upgrade the Real Estate photography I first bought the Raynox full frame fisheye. Wide shots were fine but virtual tours just would not line up. I bought the circular fish eye and using 3d Vista sticher (which supports circular fisheye) and 3 fisheye shots. Resultsare pretty good and quite easy. Bonus of this lensis that by zooming in I also get good wide angle shots. Quality of images is also quite good. I'm leaning towards Sony because I'm pretty familiar with the controls. The F717 has been a good camera for me and I don't mind bulky. I am even maybe looking for an F828if I can find one as I like the swivel lens for overhead shots. The h5 hasI believe a retractable lens and I am concerened about the weight of the Raynox. The R1 looks good and supposedly has good low light settings which would be good as I don't usually shoot with flash. I suppose my problem is thefisheye lens is more important than the camera as the lens does just what I want. My problem is finding a camera to fit the lens. Price is not a big concern I just don't want to go the SLR route and have to start over with both camera and lens.

Mike