Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:21 AM   #1

I currently have a Panasonic FZ30 and am looking to move up to a DSLR. I currently have my choices down to two Cameras. One is the Nikon D80, one is the Pentax K10D.
I have handled both cameras in the store and played around with both and am thoroughly confused. On the one hand I like the handling and feel of the D80, and on the other hand, I like the in-body image stabilization of the Pentax. I think this feature would come in pretty handy.
I also like the features of the K10D.
I know the Nikon is a great camera and the image quality is very good. I like the size of the camera the features and of course the great lens selection.
Also, the Pentax is a bit cheaper, though that's not going to be the deciding factor for me.

I'm so confused. I've been reading some reviews online, been reading on the forums, etc.

I just can't make up my mind which camera would be right for me. Any help from people who have more experince with these cameras would be greatly appreciated.
shaolin_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:41 PM   #2

I'd be happy with either one. However, for me, shake reduction is enough to make mewant the Pentax. I sold my Pentax *ist DL for the K100D simply for the shake reduction, so I like it. Also, I like the fact that any Pentax lens made will work on the K10D. The K10D has weather sealing. Finally, in the U.S. at least, the Pentax is a little cheaper. For me, I'd choose the Pentax.

Russ

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:48 AM   #3

You'll find lots of people who will tell you to get the Nikon - it's a really nice camera and takes outstanding pictures.

I happen to have the K10, and love it. The SR makes my 25 year old fast primes stabilized, and I ended up buying a used long tele lens that I can handhold, something I wouldn't have been able to do without SR. To me this is a huge plus, but it won't mean much to someone who uses a tripod all the time.

I also like the weather sealing - I don't mind going out in the snow to take pictures, and I think it'll provide better dust protection (haven't been to either the beach or the desert yet) than a non-sealed dSLR. Since I occasionally visit both the desert and the beach, this will give me additional peace of mind.

In the end, if the extra features of the cameras don't convince you one way or the other, and you don't find the ergonomics sufficiently different, then write the names of the two cameras on pieces of paper, put them on a board and buy the one that the dart lands on. Or draw the name out of a hat - both have outstanding picture quality.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:19 PM   #4

Mtngal,

A question for you: the lenses you picked up - are they

A - weather sealed

B - autofocus

The reason I ask is that weathersealing the body without a sealed lens is only a partial fix - the whole system needs sealed to be effective.

Also, I realize there are plenty of old manual focus pentax lenses out there, and I see reference to them quite a bit as a benefit to the system. But, what about availability of quality auto-focus lenses? Or are all the lenses being referred to autofocus? And do these auto focus lenses have the focus speed of the newer Nikon or Canon lenses?

Don't misunderstand - I'm not trying to bash Pentax - not at all. Just trying to understand if the system has the same array of quality AUTOZOOM lenses the Canon & Nikon systems do - not everyone wants to focus manually.

Note - I don't own either Nikon or Pentax, so I have no brand loyalty to either route taken by the poster.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:13 PM   #5

Most of my lenses are old manual lenses - my budget when I bought a dSLR was very limited, so I've been primarily using lenses thatwere bought 20-25 years ago. The only AF lenses I have are the kit lens (came with the DS I bought a year ago), the DA 50-200 and a really inexpensive macro lens. I didn't like the ergonomics of the Nikon when I tried it a year ago (though don't know if I would notice as much difference between the K10 and the Nikons - the K10 is larger than the DS).

I'm waiting for the new lenses that Pentax has coming out this spring, they are rumored to be water sealed. However, if I were starting from scratch and didn't want to wait for the weather sealed ones, I could find just about whatever I need within either the Pentax lenses, or one of the third party lenses - there are fast primes, and zooms of various sorts that are all AF (keep looking at the limited line of lenses, along with the 10-17 zoom). While I've never compared focus times with a stop watch, like reviewers do, all I can say is that I've never felt the need for faster focusing with the two Pentax lenses. Maybe if I were a pro I'd feel differently, but I'm not - I'm only a not very good amateur, former FZ30 user,and the K10 more than meets my needs.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:38 PM   #6

Both are excellent cameras, and you really cannot go wrong with either one:

The main advantages are as follows:

Pentax: In-body anti-shake will work with any lens, and it will be very functional (including metering) with a huge range of quite inexpensive manual focus lenses:

Nikon: Higher performing autofocus system, and a wider choice of modern autofocus optics and system accessories in all different price ranges. Unlike the Pentax, it will not meter with older manual focus lenses. Slightly better image quality at High ISO settings than the Pentax.

All the other differences are really quite minor. Build quality seems comparable between the two, and they have the best viewfinders of any cameras in their class.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 8:59 AM   #7

Thanks for all your replies. I went back to the store, tried the cameras again, and this time even took my own SD card to take photos and compare at home.
I'm really starting to enjoy the feel and the features of the Pentax. The SR is what won me over in the end.
Also, the Pentax is a bit cheaper, which means that I can spend the saved money on a good, fast, prime lens.
So, I'm going to get the Pentax very soon. Thanks again for your input
shaolin_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:39 AM   #8

shaolin,

Congrats on making your final decision. I too will be ordering my Pentax K10D today. The Pentax owners on this forum have been very helpful and I'd like to thank each and everyone of them. I hope we are both very happy with our new cameras and I'm sure we'll have plenty of help from the folks on this forum.
If you haven't already ordered, you may want to check the K10D packages that are available online. Cametacamera and b&h both have some real good prices and have great reputations. Enjoy.

Jay D :|
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote