Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:46 PM   #1

im planning to buy my 1st dslr. i was thinking of the canon 350d. but nikon's d40 is attractive as well, a plus is it is a hundred dollars less than the 350d ($599 vs. $699 in most stores)

what 1st dslr camera would you suggest and why? right now, im still partial to the 350d.

thanks
balmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:18 PM   #2

Pentax K100D with the kit lens. $550 and it has built-in shake reduction.

Let the arguments begin.:lol:

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 1:08 AM   #3

i agree with rfortson. k100D definitely. that's what i'm buying, plus it's so cheap now AND has shake reduction which is a must.
Taraelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:55 PM   #4

I'd buy a canon 350d if you plan to change settings when shooting and require very high quality low light images, I'd buy a nikon d40 if it is mostly used as a point and shoot camera as all the settings a burried in menus.
I tried/tested them both ... I can not speak for Pentax as I haven't tried it.
Shake reduction in pentax apparently does not give yo utoo much advantage. You can take better images with High ISO Canon 350d then with lower ISO Pentax + shake reduction (based on noice performace reviews). Especially if you are using kit lens ... shake reduction is not going to get you far

both are great. Nikon kit lens is MUCH MUCH MUCH better.

both are way too small and uncomfortable for my hands .
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:13 AM   #5

Shake reduction is a personal thing - it will mean more to some than others. I had a Pentax DS and then bought a K100 and was really surprised at how much difference it made for me when using a longer lens. I went from having marginal success with a 200mm lens, to having no problems with a 300mm lens (with reasonable light). If all your pictures are good light, normal to wide angle, or on a tripod, then it won't matter. But if you hike and handhold just about everything, then anti-shake could be important.

The Pentax kit lens is one of the better kit lenses,and I continue to use it on occasion even though I have some fast primes that cover part of its range.

If you decide to rule out the Pentax line, then look at what the limitations are of the D40 (it seems like there's limitations with which Nikon lenses you can use with the camera, but they might not be important to you).

I have small hands, so prefer a smaller, lighter camera, but that's an individual thing. A good idea before you buy is to handle all the cameras you are interested in and see how they feel. Ergonomics is very important - the best camera in the world won't take a good picture if its sitting in your closet because you don't like to carry it around.

Finally, if you consider everything and still are partial to the Canon, get it - all of these cameras take excellent pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:40 AM   #6

Here's my take on this:

1. I really don't like the concept of the D40 - it's a stripped down DSLR -the whole point being to get you to buy into a DSLR system and as you advance, you'll outgrow it quicker than you would another camera. So, if you want to go into the Nikon system, go with the D50 instead.

2. You'll find SLR users are passionate about their systems - Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc - each person will try and convince you their system is the best. The truth of the matter is: all 3 of these are pretty good. All have good entry level and good intermediate level cameras. For general purpose use, any of the 3 systems are fine. If you have an issue with being un-steady then the in-body anti-shake of the pentax is a very positive feature. If you are fairly steady, IS is a nice to have but very far down on my list of necessary features (I own a canon and have both IS and non IS lenses). It's a nice to have but not essential. Same with Canon's high ISO performance - nice to have but for most people not essential.

So, I would suggest going to a store - handle the Canon 350D, Nikon D50 and Pentax K100D. See if one of the 3 feels better than the other to you. If it does, go with it - you can't make a wrong decision.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:12 AM   #7

thanks for the replies. the funny thing, when me and my girl went to check out the camera at a store, she totally shrugged the 350d and loved the 400d. i told her that the 350d is the one were planning to buy but she told me we should buy the 400d becasue it has a bigger screen. hey, im not gonna argue with my girl, especially if she likes the newer one. :-)
balmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 7:01 PM   #8

Welcome to the world of Canon and the "Yes, dear" club. Have fun with the camera.

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 9:35 PM   #9

s very good buy .... you'll love more and more as you use it.
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote