Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 10, 2007, 1:06 AM   #1

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum but have been learning from this site for a long time now and I'm very impressed with the amount of information in it. Ok, I've been using Minolta products for a while now and I've always been very satisfied. The lastest one that I own is the Dimage s414, and the only problem with this camera is the zoom range and # of batteries it requires. I'm looking forward to getting either the Z2 or the Z3 because of its great optical zoom range. Also, I love the design, especially the grip, on the Z1-6, but I can only afford up to the Z3. I'm not very concerned with the megapixels because I don't print much of my pictures, so 4 MP is more than enough for my needs. I'm mainly concerned with the optical zoom, grip, and # of batteries required.
BUT, here's the problem. I've become tired of the fact that everytime I need to replace the batteries, I have to have 4 fully charged batteries on hand, which caused me some problems before. Unfortuantely, all Dimage Z1-Z6 require 4 batteries.
So here comes my question, is there a camera that has close specs to the Dimage Z2 or 3, especially the optical zoom and the grip (SLR Style), uses max of 2 AA batteries or comes with a battery pack, and in the price range as the Z2 or Z3?
Thanks in advance.

ps. does anyone have a negative or positive feedback or opinion about any of the Dimage Z line of products?
Andy387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2007, 1:53 AM   #2

I think S6000 is a good camera also manual optical zoom, the only problem it uses 4 AA batt, but I think if u use 2700mah batt, it will able to take more than 400 photos/charge.
Another thing, come with wide angle lens.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...ew/index.shtml
For Konica Minolta seem the production is already stop.
just my 2cents
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:47 AM   #3

Hi Andy,

Check out Steve's reviews of the Sony DSC-H1, H2 and H5 cameras.
All of these cameras run on two batteries and have 12x zoom with IS.

I just bought an H5 and have found battery life to be very good.

Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 8:46 AM   #4

I've been using a DiMage Z1 for a couple of years now, and have been quite happy with it. The switch-finder works fine (some Z1s had problems with it becoming stuck), and I've gotten a few hundred shots per charge using 1850 mAh NiMH cells. Yes, it requires four, but one upside to that is the quick flash recycle time; any camera that uses 2 AAs will take around 10 seconds to recycle the flash.

I take a lot of pictures of airplanes approaching or departing Detroit Metropolitan-Wayne County Airport (just for fun/computer wallpaper). The camera has a hard time focusing on airplanes against a bright sky, but it has manual focus (unlike my brother's Kodak Z7590), so I can either focus manually or pre-focus on something roughly as far away and then select manual focus to hold that setting, then wait for the airplane to fly into focus.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 8:06 PM   #5

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'll look into the models you guys recommended. You're right Tom, I did notice the quickness between pictures with the S414 and the number of pictures you can take with one set of batteries. The manual focus is a plus as well. Thanks again and keep up the good work!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:16 PM   #6

Allright guys, I've been doing some research for the last couple of days and came to a conclusion but need your inputs. I really like the Z2 because of its price, and it has an optical viewfinder which can be switched to an electronic one. On the other hand, I'm attracted to the Z5/Z6 because of it's 2" LCD screen and it's AS feature. The extra 1 or 2 MP don't make much of a difference to me. So what do you guys think? Is the Z5 or Z6 worth the extra hundred bucks or so for the AntiShake, 2" LCD, and extra 2X optical zoom?
BTW, does the Z5 or Z6 have an aluminum or plastic body like the Z2?

Thanks for your help everyone!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:58 PM   #7

Always get the antishake - Image Stablization Feature when at all possible. It is worth its weight in GOLD.

David
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:48 PM   #8

Thanks David! I thought so as well. Anyone else's suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:33 AM   #9

I just bought a Kodak Z612. It has IS and takes amazing pics with the 12x zoom. The quality is excellent. Even does vga video @ 30 fps with stereo sound and zoom. Kodak makes excellent cameras. You just have to know what you want to buy and check the reviews.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:50 PM   #10

Thanks gerry. That's a very nice camera and it's in the price range as Z5 I think.