Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:15 AM   #1

I've had a variety of p & s cameras - all which overexpose us rendering our images as white moonfaces. Also take photos often of quick toddler in lowlight. Was considering a DSLR, but would mostly want something easy and quick a la P & s. please help!
minty70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:31 PM   #2

Your first problem - white faces could be corrected by any non DSLR that has both white balance and at least a Program Mode (program mode is essentially auto mode plus the abilty to set exposure compensation). Quite a few digicams have this ability.

The second point: images of a toddler in low light is another matter. There are several requirements of a camera in this situation:

1. Startup time

2. shutterlag - how much time elapses between pressing the button and the picture actually taking.

3. Low light focus ability - some cameras don't focus as well as others in low light situations - so in low light situations the shutter lag will be longer

4. stopping motion - assuming you're in your house there are two ways to freeze the action - 1) a good flash - and good typically means EXTERNAL - most internal flashes are pretty poor. OR, you need a combination of a camera with good ISO 1600 performance AND (please don't forget the and, people) a 'fast' lens - this means a lens with aperture value of 2.8 OR QUITE OFTEN BETTER

No doubt a DSLR will do better in every area mentioned above. BUT, that's a lot of expense. Some digicams on the market have made great stides in high ISO performance. The question is: for those cameras (namely Fuji f30 and s6000) - what is the startup time & shutter lag like? The flashes won't be of much help in this regard they're too weak (not a knock on these particular cameras just a point in general that built in flashes are too weak to rely on them for stop-action)

As usual I recommend getting advice from folks using the camera in a similar fashion. People taking still shots won't register shutter lag as much of a problem as people taking shots like you wish to. I'm sure there is someone here who uses digicams to take shots of their kids with.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 1:46 PM   #3

I agree with John, and DSLR is an awfully expensive Point & Shoot.

Some of the newer Fuji digi-cams (F31fd & F40fd), have a "face detection" that recognizes faces & properly exposes for them. Here's a link to more info on it:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...1fd/index.html
Old Jan 10, 2007, 3:52 PM   #4

I'd go further than kalypso and say you would be very silly to buy a dSLR thinking it would solve your "white face" problem. One of the advantages of dSLR is the range of adustments that can be made. One of he disadvantages of a dSLR is that you really have to figure out what those adjustments do. Since you haven't figured out how to adjust exposure with your current camera(s) which likely have a simple +-EV adjustment, you are likely to be completely baffled by all the options offered by a dSLR.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:08 PM   #5

With the white face problem are you using flash? Maybe the intensity is too high or you are too close, could you posta pic with exif so we can help you?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:49 PM   #6

if money is not an object - a DSLR makes an amazing point and shoot camera.
that's how I used my Canon 300d. Put in Program mode and just point and shoot.
Then I started to learn that I could adjust settings to get better results then I already had. Started to shoot in apperture priority mostly, added flash ..... I am getting the images that no point and shoot could ever get close to in quality. I am mostly shooting fast moving subjects in low light.

just skip the P&S frustration step and go directly to DSLR. I was foolish enough to buy a P&S first, sold it in two month and got myself a used Canon 300d.
this is just my subjective oppinion though.

here is a good thread that was posted recently with some low light shots of kids and cats. you can compare the P&S vs DSLR performance.

for some - there is no difference, for some it is huge. make your own judgement on price/quality difference. as for me ... I'd take an entry level Nikon d40 or even a very cheap nowdays used Canon 300d over any P&S ... but that's me ... I prefer a used BMW over any brand new comparable in price Honda or Toyota ... .

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=9

here is a more obvious example:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87

the proof is in the pudding ... not in the oppinions of others
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 9:07 PM   #7

Wow - thanks everyone for your detailed and most helpful responses.

I've heard great things about the fujis, in terms of shooting in low light - I've been obsessively reading review after review after review for weeks now. The face detectionpowers look incredible, and certainly address the issues I'm concerned about. I was checking out the S6500fd, in addition to the Finepix f40fd. I noticed the s6500fd has a pop-up type flash - would that qualify as an external flash and help with the over-exposure problems? I also noticed that it is a 6.3 mega pixel model- is that considered "enough" for cropping and enlarging, to say 8x10s (which I rarely do admittedly)?

But then I fantasize about the Canon XTi and the amazing picture quality it produces. But, as is surely obvious by now, I'm not the most technically advanced, especially when it comes to cameras. But then I think about the possibilities of a DSLR and my responsibility to document my daughter's youth in as dreamy a manner as possible, lol.

I obviously have to learn the basics of ISO and this foreign thing called EV.

UGH, so confusing...but in behavior, I realize, what I'm looking for is a P&S - when I think about my trouble manipulating gadgetry and trying to super-quickly get that adorable shot of a moving toddler.

Again thanks for your help, and I'm going to figure out how to posta pic to illustrate my overexposure problem....

Old Jan 10, 2007, 9:12 PM   #8

now is a good time to stop reading reviews, go to a camera store and test cameras against each other
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 9:31 PM   #9

Well if you get the XTi don't buy the kit lens because it isn't very good. I have a p&s and I had the XTi over christmas and it was nice but returned it because I can't afford it or the lenses that would match the reach of my S1IS. But hopefully in the summer I will buy it again or the 30D because dSLR's are super fast at everything.

Can't Wait :|
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 9:31 PM   #10

Good idea OS. I saw/posted on your other thread. Gorgeous pic of your cat - how long did it take to manually set up those shots?

Ok, trying to attach pic, don't think I"m doing it right...
Attached Images