Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:27 PM   #1

Trying to decide between the following cameras.
-Panasonic FX07, FX01, FX3
-Canon SD700IS, SD800IS

I have gone over the specs so many times I could rattle them off from memory. They all have large enough resolution for me, so I'm mostly interest in picture quality. I like the wide angle on the FX01, FX3and the SD800, but it isn't absolutely necessary. I like the digital zoom on videos with Canon, but the widescreen video with Panasonic is appealing also. I am comfortable with both brand's size, battery, menu system, etc.

Questions I have...
-How bad is the noise on the FX07/FX01? Is it noticeable in normal shooting or just at high ISO mode? Should I just scratch these models off the list?
-Does the FX3 suffer from the same noise problems as the FX07/FX01? The review doesn't say much about noise, but wanted your experiences.
-If noise is bad on all these Panasonic's then which Canon would you choose on picture quality, SD700 or SD800?

Any help you can provide is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
freeman.joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2007, 6:00 PM   #2

Can anyone help on Panasonic noise? Is it so bad that I would rule out these Panasonic models? Does the FX3 lack the noise problem or is present onall models the FX models? Should I just look at the Canons? Need some help.
Thanks
freeman.joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:01 AM   #3

I can't help with the Pansonics but the SD800 picture quality is poor IMO. I have seen pictures from an SD700 and they were much better up to the usual Canon standard.
VinnyP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:15 AM   #4
Super Moderator

The noise from my FX01 is not noticably different in real-world situations from my wife's Canon IXUS.

Check out the gallery pages of the FX01 review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pana...x01/page14.asp

Very nice image quality.

As to the poor quality of the SD800IS, well for a P&S it looks fine to me.

Check out the gallery pages at dpreview at the bottom of the below link.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonSD800is/page11.asp

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:38 AM   #5

I am sure people will disagree but I had 2 and wanted to like it. It was simply no where as good as my much older Casio Z750. I have looked at the link and from each picture you can download the full size original all of them look a bitsoft to me. From the DPreveiew conclusion:

The SD 700 IS was an easy 'Highly Recommended', this one doesn't quite make the grade simply because here at dpreview we put a lot of weight on image quality, which is the one area where the SD 800 IS can't compete with the older model.

VinnyP! is offline   Reply With Quote