Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2007, 4:50 AM   #1

The A710 IS costs325$ while the S3 IS costs 425$.

A710 IS:

7.1 MegaPixels
6x Optical Zoom
2.5" LCD

S3 IS:

6 MegaPixels
12x Optical Zoom
2" LCD

I dont see why the S3 IS is better than the A710 IS. The only thing is seems to have better is the optical zoom, and i dont see why u need more than 6x.

So why should I buy the S3 IS over the A710 IS?
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2007, 5:26 PM   #2

Well, first, be sure you understand what it means by 6x. It's 6x because it covers a range of 35mm-210mm equivalent focal length. "Normal", the closest to what your eye sees, is considered to be about 50mm equivalent. So the max zoom is actually about 4x normal magnification.

That mighe be enough for most things. Many people like more for things like sports and wildlife. But if you think you don't need it, you don't really need to cary around a superzoom that's about twice as big. I think most of the other differences are fairly small, like a popup flash and a couple more buttons on the S3.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:23 PM   #3

I have the S1 and it only has 10x zoom(just over 380mm i think) and it isn't enough if you take photos of wildlife. MP only matter if you need to crop lots. Mine is 3.2MP and it works out great.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:49 AM   #4

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
Well, first, be sure you understand what it means by 6x. It's 6x because it covers a range of 35mm-210mm equivalent focal length. "Normal", the closest to what your eye sees, is considered to be about 50mm equivalent. So the max zoom is actually about 4x normal magnification.

That mighe be enough for most things. Many people like more for things like sports and wildlife. But if you think you don't need it, you don't really need to cary around a superzoom that's about twice as big. I think most of the other differences are fairly small, like a popup flash and a couple more buttons on the S3.
What do u mean "covers a range of 35mm-210mm"?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:34 AM   #5

35mm-210mm is the equivalent old SLR film-camera wide angle-to-zoom measurement system. 35mm is actually slightly wide angle, with 50mm closest to how the eye sees, so 210mm is technically only 4x what the eye sees. But that's getting way too technical.

When comparing two cameras with the same starting 35mm, 6x zoom is directly comparable to 12x zoom.

So other benefits of the S3?

- Swivel screen to shoot from very low, very high angles and candid shots to the side that people won't notice
- Stereo sound for movies
- Optical zoom capabilities in movie mode
- Larger aperture lens for more light, greater depth of field
- Bigger view finder?
- Less frequent battery changes

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I looked at these two cameras and went with the 710 because I'm concerned with size and just thought I would carry the 710 more, but the S3 is clearly a more versatile shooting camera.

Oh yeah, a lot zoom can be very helpful and lot of fun, you'll get shots that simply aren't availble to lesser zooms. At 6x times I can't quite get enough distance from people to be unnoticed, eg, I wouldn't want to take a picture of a stranger without asking first and can't always get the totally candid shot of my kid. At 12x I would.
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:40 AM   #6

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a710.html

If you look at the camera (photo from Steve's review) on the lens you see it says:
5.8-34.8mm 1:2.8-4.8

The first set of numbers, 5.8-34.8, are the min and max focal length of the lens. That's the actual focal length of this lens. Often, you will see this instead expressed in 35mm equivalent. Because the sensor on this camera is about 1/6 the size of 35mm film, this lens is aboout 1/6 the size of what would be needed on a 35mm camera to produce a comparable field of view. So the field of view of the 5.8-34.8mm lens is comparable to what you would get on a 35mm camera from a 35-210mm lens. 6x just means that 34.8/5.8=6 (or 210/35=6).

Whether that's as much as you need or not depends on what you're shooting. A 50mm equivalent lens (a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera) will rounghly fill the frame (head to toe) in portrait mode of a person standing about 10 feet away. To get that same shot of a person 20 feet away you might want 100mm equivalent. For a person 40 feet away you might use a 200mm equivalent to get that same tight frame.

If you are shooting close ups of something smaller than a person, from more than 40 feet, you might want alot more telephoto than a 200mm equivalent. Birders for example often are thinking in terms of 600mm-800mm or more in equivalent focal length (and even at those lengths might have to crop quite a bit to fill the frame with their subject).

On the other hand, if you shooting something larger from closer in, you might want a better wide angle. A 35mm equivalent is a decent wide angle, but if you are trying to get a shot of a building from across the street, you might wish you had a 28mm or less. I think alot of buyers seem to get attracted by those large zoom numbers and don't think about how often they might want to expand in the other direction, including more in their photo, whether for shooting interiors, crowded city streets, or simply for capturing broad expansive landscapes.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 4:50 PM   #7

I find it wierd that the smaller the number is (mm) the wider the shot is. I read that the human eyefor instense has a focal length of about 17mm wich means that the eye can see twice as much as a 35mm lens.

So if 12x zoomis actually only about 380mm, that means that u would need more than 20x to get to 600-800mm.

And abt the S3 vs. A710 IS. The A710 IS also has some features that the S3 does not have, and all in all i dont get how the S3 an afford to be so much more expensive when the only real advantage it has is zoom. Im not sure what "stereo sound" means when reffering to the S3, but i really dont need anything other than the zoom on the S3.

The A710 IS is somewhat smaller than the S3. Is that only because of the lens and the zoom? I keep thinking that because its bigger, that its better in some way, like SLRs. Perhaps the fact that the lens is bigger means that the photos are of better quality, or is it just for the zoom?

Old Mar 13, 2007, 10:04 AM   #8

Can anyone list more features that the S3 IS has over the A710 IS while im waiting for a price drop?

And is it really all that muchbigger only because of the zoom?