Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 12, 2007, 4:05 PM   #1

I thoght I had it down to Fuji F30 from Canon A640, Canon G7..... any comments are helpful. What I do with the camera... I take pictures of my artwork and post on my website. I take pictures of still lifes and models to paint from and print on 5x7 paper. My problem. My photos are blurry when I put them on the internet. Printing is ok but not great. I currently use Fujifilm S3100 with 4MP, 6Xzoom to 234. I love the zoom although it gets very blurry. Saw the new Casio which came out in January but no reviews on image quality. I love my Canon AE1 with zoom lenses but would like something I can carry in my purse to take pictures on my travels as well as upload to the web. Any thoughts?

charlottecox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2007, 5:12 PM   #2

There are tworeasons that your pictures are blurry. Actually, three - your camera may be broken somehow. However, two more common reasons are:

1. You are moving the camera as the shutter is open or the thing that you are taking a picture of is moving (fast). If the shutter speed is fast, some movement isn't noticeable. The solution to this is to brace yourself better or use a tripod.

2. The shutter speed is so slow (because it's dark where you are taking the picture) that only Superman could hold the camera still. The solution is to up the ISO to increase the shutter speed OR get a camera with image stabilization OR use a flash.

The F30 is a camera with very good quality high ISO pictures.

The Panasonic DMC-TZ1 has 10X optical zoom with image stabilization (IS).

The Canon PowerShot A710 IS has 6X optical zoom with IS.

I think all 3 of these cameras can be bought for less than $300 online.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 5:40 PM   #3

Thank you for the response. I think I am the one moving as I press the button and did not notice it before I started posting my pics to my website. I will definately go with an "IS" option and I like the look of the Canon A710IS kind of like my Canon AE1 and sounds like I can play around with functions and I definately use the optical view finder much more than the LCD screen. I am thinking the smaller ultra compacts will be too small and feel like toys.

Thanks for the response

Charlotte
Old Jan 12, 2007, 5:58 PM   #4

charlottecox wrote:
Quote:
... I take pictures of my artwork and post on my website. I take pictures of still lifes and ...
Get a tripod. That will improve those pictures regardless of what camera you get. Next, spend some time reading up on lighting techniques. Again, that will improve your pictures with any camera.

I don't think the choice of camera is anywhere near as important as knowing how to use it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 7:26 PM   #5

Well I do have a tripod and the lighting but just don't take the time to use it. I prefer using the tripod and lighting techniques when I use the 35mm, but I guess I should do that with the digital. Just don't want to lug it around to the different studios that I paint at during a model sitting or classroom. Maybe I have just started shaking when I try to hold it still because I do have great pictures that I have taken with my current digital but would still love to have something a bit smaller.

Thanks

Charlotte
Old Jan 12, 2007, 7:27 PM   #6

Well I do have a tripod and the lighting but just don't take the time to use it. I prefer using the tripod and lighting techniques when I use the 35mm, but I guess I should do that with the digital. Just don't want to lug it around to the different studios that I paint at during a model sitting or classroom. Maybe I have just started shaking when I try to hold it still because I do have great pictures that I have taken with my current digital but would still love to have something a bit smaller.

Thanks

Charlotte
Old Jan 13, 2007, 8:27 AM   #7

I think you answered your own question. There is no difference between digital and chemical photography in terms of the need for a stable camera and a properly lit subject.

Image stabilization (IS) is not a substitute for a tripod. IS does not guarentee a stable sensor at any shutter speed - IS does increase the odds of no shake, but does not assure it. The basic trick to using IS in place of a tripod is to shoot a fair number of shots betting that at least one will not have shake. The odds can get very high in your favor, but will never be the 100% that can be achived with a tripod and some care.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote