Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:06 AM   #1

Hello new to digital photography

I have had focus trouble with indoor digital photos taken at a distance of 30cm or one foot. I use a tripod and timer to take the shots yet still the focus is poor (Blurred out of focus, not sharp).
I attempted to shoot with Daylight bulbs, flash, and energy saving bulbs (3 of them). I have tried the marco setting. If there is a camera brand that will do this please let me know. Currently I am using a 4mg camera.

Don54660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:56 AM   #2

Make sure you are not zooming in too far.

The more you zoom the farther away the camera can focus.

Are you prefocusing the camera properly ? Ie half pressing the shutter release button and waiting for the tone/visible signal that lock has been achieved ?

Oh, and you may want to edit your post, you appear to have posted using black text for some reason.. makes it hard to read..
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 8:15 AM   #3

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
Make sure you are not zooming in too far.

The more you zoom the farther away the camera can focus.

Are you prefocusing the camera properly ? Ie half pressing the shutter release button and waiting for the tone/visible signal that lock has been achieved ?

Oh, and you may want to edit your post, you appear to have posted using black text for some reason.. makes it hard to read..
Hello my first post, and if I type in white I can't see it?
About the focus problem... I am not zooming at all. I do hold the button down half-way before the shot, and it is on timer for release, so I know the camera is not moving. The camera take normal shots perfectly it a 4 mg camera. I am at least 30cm away. Thanks

Don54660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 8:46 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Better not to set the text colour to anything specific at all. Just leave it as the default. Then everyone (no matter which skin they are using will be able to read it.)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:00 AM   #5

Can you tell us what camera you are using ?

Can you confirm the camera shows focus lock before you full press ?

Can you post some pics showing the problem ?

Leave the exif information in them ( the embedded information that shows shutter speed, time, date, exposure, iso etc )

If you are not sure if your image editor strips this out , ie typically save for web in photoshop or similar would, then before downloading from the camera, bring up that information of the lcd and make a note of it for inclusion with your post.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:10 PM   #6

Don54660 wrote:
Quote:
... I have had focus trouble with indoor digital photos taken at a distance of 30cm or one foot. ...
I suspect you are to close for the camera settings - is there a macro setting available?

You are probably best to ask this question in the forum for your specific camera - the folks there are more likely to know the minimum focus distance and such like stuff.

BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:20 PM   #7

One foot seems too close, unless you have a macro lens.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:11 PM   #8

Seems you have also tried the macro function on your camera, so it's just a guess, but perhaps its a contrast problem where the camera cannot get a good read of subject.

Try holding a piece of white paper with big black block lettering at the same distance to get the focus locked, then pull it away for shutter release.
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote