Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:53 AM   #11

cgl88 wrote:
Quote:
Experienced photographers won't say one is better than the other - it depends on the situation.
I agree completely - it depends on the situation. Since the OP tacked on more details - i.e. sports shooting of diving and indoor swimming, late afternoon/dusk baseball and available light sooting then it does make a huge difference. While digicams have made great strides in available light non-action shooting they still aren't in the same league as a DSLR (but they are now acceptable which is important and acceptable may be good enough) - but for low liight sports, they just can't cut it. They aren't up to the task - low light sports is probably the most demanding job you can give a camera - so you're asking a lot of a $400 camera to do that job. And right now they can't do it.

As for spending $1000 on a lens - I hear with and agree with you to a point. But please understand there are certain jobs only a $1000 or $2000 or $4000 lens can perform. It's not just a matter of Better it's a matter of being able to do it at all. Think of it like this: you have a 32' boat to pull - which car is going to do the job: Toyota Camry, Honda Accord or Volkswagon Passat - the answer is: none of the above. You need a truck to do the job.

Superzoom are great cameras and I've suggested to several friends they buy them - but they just aren't capable of certain things. Both sides have a down side it's just important to know the pros/cons before making any investment so you don't end up being disappointed.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:16 AM   #12

Great information. I know I can not and will not purchase a $1000 lens. I can see my hubby's face now!

But it does give me a lot to think about. I do have photo shop elements. I just haven't played with it that much. The first shot of my DD diving I have played with in photo shop to try and get a better contrast with the sky but it just isn't working. Plus I had to sit back from the board. (judges aren't real happy when parents get in the way!) But at least I did catch the dive in the air.

I pulled pictures that were basically straight out of the camera so you could see what I have done. The other problem with diving pictures is location of ME!At times you can't always stand or sit where the best angle would be.

One nice thing I do love to take picture of the kids so the practice part is easy! Which is the one reason I love digital. I can shot 500 pictures at one event and keep 10!

I think another thing I need to do after reading the replies is to start really exploring photo shop. Maybe before I purchase my next camera. Luckily the one I have is still working...so that gives me time. Plus do some more reading, talking and spend some time in the camera store.
spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:40 AM   #13

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
cgl88 wrote:
Quote:
Experienced photographers won't say one is better than the other - it depends on the situation.
I agree completely - it depends on the situation. Since the OP tacked on more details - i.e. sports shooting of diving and indoor swimming, late afternoon/dusk baseball and available light sooting then it does make a huge difference. While digicams have made great strides in available light non-action shooting they still aren't in the same league as a DSLR (but they are now acceptable which is important and acceptable may be good enough) - but for low liight sports, they just can't cut it. They aren't up to the task - low light sports is probably the most demanding job you can give a camera - so you're asking a lot of a $400 camera to do that job. And right now they can't do it.

As for spending $1000 on a lens - I hear with and agree with you to a point. But please understand there are certain jobs only a $1000 or $2000 or $4000 lens can perform. It's not just a matter of Better it's a matter of being able to do it at all. Think of it like this: you have a 32' boat to pull - which car is going to do the job: Toyota Camry, Honda Accord or Volkswagon Passat - the answer is: none of the above. You need a truck to do the job.

Superzoom are great cameras and I've suggested to several friends they buy them - but they just aren't capable of certain things. Both sides have a down side it's just important to know the pros/cons before making any investment so you don't end up being disappointed.

I somewhat exaggerated on the dollar figure ($1000) to make a point. Good use of analogy. I'd add two more things: know how to use whatever it is one ends up buying (p&s or dSlr) and...pros I have found do end up buying both, again depending on the situation. However, for you it sounds like one of the solutions will work best.

As for underwater shots, p&s can be bought with an underwater case. Also, dSLRs are soo very fast that it is worthwhile to have a fast camera to ensure you don't miss precious moments.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:56 PM   #14

Need your help again! Since you have given me so much info and I actually followed almost all you have said.....

Today I actually held a rebel. And shot a few pictures. (another friend had the camera!) I was in total shock at the repsonse time to be able to shoot picture after picture! I didn't realize that I actually missed this in a camera! So..........what do I do now!??!

If I decided to go with a DSL.....and I bought just the body which lens would be a goodchoice forthe camera? With my old dino, Minolta I had one lens I loved. It was a tele macro type. I had other lenses too but this was the one I just left on. So is this a possiblity?

Also when you say I will need to do post editing, what exactly are you talking about other than the basics? cropping/rotating? Noise reduction? lighting? Do you usually have to do something? What about general pictures of landscapes or just pictures, you know snap shots? Notjust sports? I will be using this camera for everything. Any sport shots I take are of my kids or friends kids, not as a business so I will not need a $2000 lens. I would like a basic lens that I can get good shots. I can't even believe I am now thinking this way! But I was so shocked by the weight, being liight, the response time and the feel!
spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:44 PM   #15

spinning wrote:
Quote:
I have a friend who has a rebel camera. And I have never been impressed with any of her shots. They are never super crisp and clear. Some are good. But we will be at the same school function taking pretty much the same pictures...and I can't tell the difference. Now if some one was using that camera and really knew what they were doing.....it would be a different story. So I guess I have now ansered my own question. For me it isn't worth it yet.......not to say I won't want something in the future. But for the level my kids are in their sports. I think I can go with something less expensive and difficult to use!
If your friend is shooting with the 18-55mm kit lens that cam with her rebel, it is doubtful she will get sharp low light fast action sports shots. On the other hand if she invests is some good quality fast lenses and practices good technics,then the story has a happy ending using that same rebel body.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:02 PM   #16

Spinning,

Here's a very good, just posted query that's aperfect exampleregarding the need to post-process and why it even works sometimes for a point & shoot..

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=86
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote