Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:21 PM   #1

I had a DSC-P150 that I am still in love with. The problem is that the lens is malfuntioning occasionally and I don't trust it to work if I go on a once in a lifetime vacation. I was very happy with the pictures from the P150... always crisp with good color. I tried to replace it with a Sony DSC-W100, but I am not pleased with the picture quality at all (see my post over in the Sony forum.) I will be returning it soon since I have an extended warrenty.

I'm still not sure what camera I will be happy with. I want something as good as or better than the P150. When I take a picture of a person from 7ft away, I want to see every little hair on thier face. The W100 blurred faces like mad. Basically I am looking for very crisp pictures, image stabilization, 7+ megapixels, and a Lithium ion battery.

Here are the cameras I am thinking about:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2
-there are a lot of reviews saying the picture is blurry, so I am hesitant to purchase this model

Olympus Stylus 750
-This camera is very new, so there aren't many reviews at all

Kodak Easyshare P880
-Seems good from reviews, any comments?

Casio Exilim EX-Z700
-Reviews are ok, but anti-shake mode has a lot of noise

What do you think? Are there any other cameras that would be good? Thanks!!!!!!

Tiamet2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2007, 5:12 PM   #2

Please? Anyone? Advice? :?

I will be using the camera for indoor shots in low-medium lighting and outdoor scenery shots. I take a lot of pictures of beaches, palm trees, and the ocean on my many trips to Florida. I also take a lot of pictures of my pets both indoors and outdoors. This summer I will be traveling to Chile, so I really need a great camera to capture my memories. Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:19 AM   #3

The Kodak P-880 is an excellent camera, especially when teamed up with the dedicated external P-20 flash. However, it is not a small camera. It might well be worth the time to take a trip to a local retailer and handle the cameras in question, so determine what cameras feel best in hand.

Personally I have not had much luck with Casio cameras. Of course, you might be luckier than me. Panasonic has been so-so. I have a FZ-7 that does very well indeed in good outdoor light, but it terrible when the ISO setting has to go above ISO 200.

Here is a nice KodakP-880 Sunset for you so you can see what the camera is capable of in a real life shooting situation.

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 7:22 PM   #4

Thank you so much for the advice! Sadly, the Kodak, Canon G7, and Panasonic I am looking at are not found in stores, only online. That really worries me since I'm blindly picking a camera, sort of. That picture is very nice! Do you ever find trouble with blur on the Kodak P-880 since there is no image stabilization?

Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:10 PM   #5

tiamet-

I really have encountered no problems at all due to the fact that the P-880 does NOT have image stabilization. It really is quite an under rated camera, that can provide a wonderful, and very sharp, 24mm wide angle image, that most cameras cannot provide.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:30 AM   #6

My wifehas the Sony W100 and finds it a great little camera, just returned from 4 weeks in SE Asia and the w100 performed just fine, looking at your image on the Sony forum I notice the flash glare and at 1/40th obviously camera shake, the flash on this camera can be reduced in the settings.

Steve in his review of the W100 found it to be very good as well, I find it inconceivble that you are on a 2nd camera and say it gives blurry photo's, maybe you should experiment more and learn how to use it.

Taken with W100 before our trip.

Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 5:01 PM   #7

If you think that the Panasonic DMC-LX2 produces blurry images, then look at these examples that I have taken recently. The lens is extreemely sharp as you can see from the crops.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lumachro...eroePendleHill
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote