Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 16, 2007, 5:21 AM   #1

I have problems choosing from the three mentioned.

First I was most likely to buy the Ixus 800is, thenstarted looking very seriously at the A640 but now I'm thinking that the A710 probably isthe right for me.

Is it right that the main differencies between A640 and A710is is the optical zoom, the image stabilizer, and the megapixel? And is it a problem that the A710is only have 2 AA batteries and not four like A640? And which one is the fastest?

Most important to me is image quality and a good flash.It must also be quite fast. But things like shutter and aperture priority, optical zoom and resolution high enoughto crop image afterwards on my pc isalso important.

Prices for the three are almost the same i Denmark. A710is is a bit cheaper.

Thranaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:10 PM   #2

The A640 and the cheaper A630, which I would prefer, has an 1/1.8" sensor, which is significantly larger than the 1/2.5" sensor of the A710 IS and IXUS 800 IS. Consequently the IQ of the A640/630 is better than that of the A710 IS or IXUS 800 IS if there is no shake. The 4 battery design of the A640/630 is clearly more efficient than the two battery design of the A710. However, from my own experience I can tell you that the battery performance of the A710 is surprisingly good. I am getting some 250 shots from one single charge and the batteries were quite cheap too (4 for 1.99€).
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 9:17 AM   #3

Thranaldo
Quote:
Most important to me is image quality and a good flash.*It must also be quite fast.
I'd go with a 640 then. It will have the best image quality and flash performance. The flash on the 710 does have a slow 5 sec or so recharge time owing to the 2 batteries.

You can squeeze a few more powers of zoom out of a 640, with no loss in image quality, if you are willing to print smaller sizes... click on "safety zoom" and "digital teleconverter" here.... (essentially, these are in-camera, zoom-by-cropping tools)

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/psa640/index-e.html
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:40 AM   #4

Wow so youd give an edge to the 640 eh? How about vs the S3-IS?

My A610 was stolen so I am looking to replace it with another Canon maybe.

Though I did just read on an S3IS review that Panasonic has a better image stabilization circuittry.

I liked my A610 well enough but the indoor pics were not the best and motion
pics suffered as well some , overall I liked it.

Ive had 6-7 cameras so far.
jimironheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:44 AM   #5

The A640 and the cheaper A630, which I would prefer, has an 1/1.8" sensor, which is significantly larger than the 1/2.5" sensor of the A710
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..

Really? What does the S3-IS have? What are a few other cameras with really big sensors?
jimironheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:13 AM   #6

The Canon S-3 has a 1/2.5 imager.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote