Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 18, 2007, 5:44 AM   #1

Hello everybody,

I spent a lot of time looking for the perfect DSLR to fit my thoughts and needs. Now my selection is between 30D by Canon and D80 by Nikon. The lences will be original Canon resp. Nikon 17-55/2.8 for the respective camera. I have had both cameras in my hands. I shot many pictures in the store and watched them on a brilliant display. They were all the same high quality. I definitely do not know which one should I buy. :?: Probably I should mention that it's gonna be my first DSLR, and that I'm gonna use it many years. I am not a professional, but I only want to buy a high quality camera and lences. So please give me your advice concerning only these two cameras with the mentioned lences (or do you know the better lences? I'm not looking for the zooms like 18-200 or even less..). One issue about Canon which makes me unsure is dust, and another one the reliability of the shutter and the electronics. But: the body of Canon looks more solid to me, while the lence by Nikon does the same compared to the lence by Canon... What do you think?

..And please, excuse me any errors I made, since English is not my native language...

Thank you in advance for your help!
Oleksiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:33 AM   #2

Both are high quality. And both systems have strong supporters - Nikon owners will tell you the D80 is best and Canon owners will tell you the 30D is best. The truth is: they're both great cameras.

I'm not sure why you think one camera over the other is more suseptical to dust and shutter failure though. Dust most often comes from changing lenses. And I don't believe the D80 is weather sealed so that's no added benefit there.

From a spec standpoint, the only benefit to the more expensive Canon camera is the better frame rate (5fps vs 3) and slightly better buffer handling. I think according to tests posted on web the 30d may be slightly better at noise handling for JPEGs but in RAW there is no practical difference. And it has max shutter of 1/8000 vs. 1/4000 for the Nikon. But it's tough to say if any of those are worth $300.

Now on the Nikon side you get: auto-ISO capability, wireless flash capability.

So, it comes down to whether or not any of those features are important to you. If you're not a sports or wildlife shooter I don't see the extra FPS of the Canon as a benefit. And the high ISO performance of the 30D is only a facctor if you think you're going to do a lot of low light shooting without flash. If you fall into one of those categories then the 30D may be worth the extra money. If you don't I really can't see a reason to spend $300 more on the Canon.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:51 AM   #3

Thank you, John!

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure why you think one camera over the other is more suseptical to dust and shutter failure though.* Dust most often comes from changing lenses.* And I don't believe the D80 is weather sealed so that's no added benefit there.
There are many reports in the German internet forums with complains about dust. What I exectly mean is, that neither 30d nor the lence 2.8/17-55 have a rubber ring or anything like this. But the lence by Nikon, 2.8/17-55 has this rubber ring at its end. And that is why people report about the dust on Canons.

Quote:
Now on the Nikon side you get:* auto-ISO capability...
But I think, Canon has auto-ISO in the range 100-400? Or am I wrong?
Concerning the price, Canon body 30d (1100 EURO) and a Canon lence 2.8/17-55 (900 EURO) cost about 2000 EURO n Germany now, and Nikon body (aprox. 900 EURO) with the Nikon lence 2.8/17-55 (1400 EURO!!!) already end at the mark of 2300 EURO. The prices are approximately, but the difference of 300 EURO (Canon can be obtained at a lower price) is always present. When you speak about such cameras this difference may deem unimportant, but anyway..

I would appreciate you further comments very much.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:54 PM   #4
rey

I have no experience with these two DSLR (I have the Nikon D50), but as far as I know, these two are NOT in the same level. The 30D is more comparable with Nikon D200. The 30D and the D200 are both considered semi-pro model, they are both weather sealed (I think) and built of magnesium alloy metal instead of polycarbonate plastic. The shutter life of 30D should be longer than the D80 as well. This is why the 30D body cost more than the D80 body.

Note that when you buy the camera, you are buying into the system. You can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon. In the US, Nikon lenses come with 5yr warranty while Canon comes with only 1 yr. That's one of the reason I went with Nikon.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:57 PM   #5

Rey - good point on the build, I forgot the D80 wasnn't metal. Ditto on the shutter life. However, the 30D is NOT weather-sealed - a complaing from the Canon crowd. But great points!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:01 PM   #6

and for image quality.

if u hate post processing, a honest opinion is that nikon out of the camera pictures are more appealing than Canon. Colors and Contrast of Incamera processing of Nikon is great

Canon JPEG vs Nikon JPEGS if u compare, i would prefer the Nikon JPEGS. They appear as if they come out of a Point and Shooot.

I had a 30D and now have a 5D. My friend has a D200. So i am not saying i support canon or Nikon, i am just saying the Out of the Camera JPEG for Nikon is far more usable without much Post processing.

Another point for Nikon is its Shutter sound. It apperas as if the Shutter is made out of cotton covered plastic..while 30D more or less sounds like ur computer Key board.

ISO performance is very good in Canon. ISO1600 is extremely usable compared to Nikon ISO800. U get one stop with ISO1600 and another stop with ISO3200

Ergonomics wise, Nikon will be very user friendly to change a lot of settings and also has a seperate button for Mirror Lock up.

I am very used to Canon annd dont mind going through the menus. But if ur very picky about the ergo nikon wins.

overall both are extremely good, and capable camera. All said and done it coomes to u on ur own comfort.

Go to circuit city and play with both. The one that suits ur hans suits ur style.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 7:21 PM   #7

Shutter sound, now THAT is a critical feature for a serious DSLR
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 3:54 AM   #8

Thank you all very much for your comments!
I will give me about one week of time, take my wife with me into the store (she will be shooting pictures as well).

...By the way, yesterday I presented to my wife a series of pictures by these both cameras (without saying by which camera) which were made with ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200. And what do you think she said to me? Exactly the same what was written here: ISO 100, 200, 400 - Nikon d80 and ISO 800, 1600 and 3200 by Canon 30d looked better to her. :lol:

The life is funny! :-)
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:49 AM   #9

So have you made a choice yet...????

wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:25 AM   #10

wrams wrote:
Quote:
So have you made a choice yet...????
At this very moment I think it's going to be rather Canon than Nikon (55:45). So you see, I am not so confident about what to buy yet.:?: