Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:45 AM   #1

I've been looking for a cheaper alternative to the Canon SD800IS and came across Panasonic FX07 and FX50 (don't really want SD700IS). How do these two cameras compare to the SD800? Is it worth getting 50 over the 07 if I don't care that the screen is 3"? I'd rather have a small sized camera (07 appears to be smaller) as long as their features are equal.
pushthebutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2007, 9:15 PM   #2

bump
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:09 PM   #3

Noone?

I'm looking for a $300 alternative that would be close in quality to SD800IS.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:56 PM   #4

What is it about the SD800IS that you don't like?

I get the feeling that you're looking for a compact camera that has image stabilization and that has a lens that starts at 28mm. The Panasonic models that you are interested in are good if you don't mind the fact that they produce images that have more than average amounts of noise, even at ISO 100, and that the noise reduction used at higher ISO's tends to blur a lot of detail. Why wouldn't you mind? If you shoot exclusively at ISO 100 you'll reduce the noise in your pictures (while still higher than average, the noise at ISO 100 isn't too distracting, especially if you aren't a "pixel peeper"). And if you only print your pictures at smaller sizes or resize them for web viewing, you might not be bothered by the noise issue at all, even at higher ISO's.

The main advantages of the camera are IS and the lens that starts at 28mm. It also appears to be a good performer in terms of speed and continuous shooting, and has pretty good battery life for such a small camera. If you shoot mostly in good light and stick to ISO 100 as much as possible, and don't print or display your images at very large sizes when you can't, it could be the one for you.

Stephanie

sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:09 AM   #5

The thing that I don't like about the SD800IS is its price. I'm looking for a $250-$300 camera which wouldn't cost more than $350 with a fast 2gig memory card. I know that SD800 used to go for as low as $280 in some places, but now it's impossible to find anything under $380, and I need a new compact cam in the next week or two.