Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 20, 2007, 8:42 AM   #1

Hey folks,

Upgrading from a pure auto P&S and want a camerathat I can grow into. Finally narrowed it down to these camera's (although I am not that into future cameras about to come out so let meplease know if there is a upgrade announced.)

Personally its down to A710 and F30, since I would rather have the IS then the extra 3 MPs.

Basically I want a camera with full manual controls, very good image quality, semi-compact size (I would like to keep it handy all the time, cant really do that with a S3 or H5). Price is an issue (Around $250).

From what I have read, F30 has the better image quality (@ higher ISO's), but the A710/A640 has the bigger zoom and all the lense accessories/converters(tele/wide)/filters.

I guess I am looking for people that have used either or both and thier experiences and opinions on which would be better for a budding enthusiast on a serious budget.

sarcodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:06 AM   #2

If you are down to these 3 cameras, I'd just go with the most important mix of features that fits *your* photography style, and only you can decide that. These 3 are different enough that the feature sets should drop out a natural winner for you. From what I understand the image quality of the F30 and 640 should be slightly better, partially due to the larger sensor, but I think you'll have to be looking very closely to see the difference.

A far more important thing to me would be getting the picture at all. For example, the F30 is the smallest, so you're most likely to be actually carry the thing everywhere. The 710 has the longest zoom and IS, so you'll be able get shots unavailable to the other two due to distance or darkness. The 640 has the swivel screen to shoot from weird angles and at unsuspecting subjects and probably the best flash performance of the 3.

Lastly, don't underestimate the differences in battery management. I've always found batteries to be the biggest unknown factor, and pain in the neck, about a digital carmera... therefore, batteries became my most important criteria.

Oh, and I chose a 710.... but that's just me.
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:43 AM   #3

I guess my main question is, for someone still learning about photography would you guys recommend the extra image quality of the F30 or the extra bells and whistles of the A710. (I dont know where the image quality of the A640 falls). I am upgrading from a canon s300 so I keep my camera's around for a while. At this point I am looking for advice and opinions from people with personal experience, I've done all the paper work.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:10 AM   #4

Sarcodian-

Please correct me if I have come away with the wrong impression. However, the name of the game, asI understand it, is to develop your skills and become a better photographer in the process. That means taking as many photos as possible. The more you have your camera with you, the more likely you are to be taking those additional photos.

Therefore ease of use, again in my opinion, becomes a larger than normal factor. I would tend to recommend either camera.The Fuji F-30is small, easy to use, fast, and very handy. On the other hand, the Canon A-710 IS is a larger camera, however it does have IS, and more zoom, bothvery nice features that might fit will into your photographic needs. The A-640, again in my opinion is the lesser of the three choices.

Just keep in mind that add-on accessories, such as accessory lenses and the like just add a lot to the things youwill becarrying. Ask yourself how often will you use those accessories?

Developing your skills as a photographer will take some learning. Check out your local Community College, they may have some courses that will be very useful. The best of luck to you and enjoy your new camera.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:40 PM   #5

Thank you reppans and mtclimber.

I guess I am just in decision making limbo. I think both of these cameras (A710 and F30) will serve my every need. After all the research and hype I am just bogged down in details, and I came onto these forums hoping someone here would have a definitive X is much much better then Y answer. Thank you all for your insights, now to go to my local camera store and play spin the bottle and hope they dont release a A720 in the next month. ^^

Edit: Does anyone know if the have a compact version of a Canon G6 out there? (G7 is out of my price range). That camera is perfect if there wasn't the whole size issue.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:51 PM   #6

sarcodian-

The Canon G-6 was only made in one size. You often see them for sale on e-bay.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote