Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 20, 2007, 7:24 PM   #1

We are trying to capture the many moods of our toddler. Problem is most of our shots are indoors and he changes expressions about every nanosecond resulting in lots and lots of blur. We've taken thousands of shots and have dozens of pictures we really like. But we have become very compromising using several pocket digital cameras.

Time to move up to a digital SLR. Can anyone recommend a DSLR that does well indoors and is relatively fast to power up and frame advance. Or in other words, a DSLR made for tots.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2007, 7:55 PM   #2

It's not the camera but it is the lens.....
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:01 PM   #3

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
It's not the camera but it is the lens.....
To a small degree it can be the camera - IF you're not using flash, you'll want to use high ISO. All the Canon DSLRs, Nikon D80 & D50 and the pentax cameras all perform very well at high ISO (The olympus and Sony cameras being the bottom of the ladder in this regard). Beyond that, they will all be fast to power up and short shutter lag.

Of course, if you wan to eskew flash you're talking about a 1.8 or 1.4 lens - which means a prime lens. All the above cameras offer 1.8 lenses. The right focal length is dependent upon the types of shots you like. I tend to like more head shots so I favor 50mm and 85mm 1.8 lenses. Others, like peripatetic prefer full body shots - he uses a 28mm 1.8 I believe

The challenge with lenses like that though is you have very shallow depth of field - it means not much is in focus - only a few inches. Makes for great shots when your focus is on the mark - but it's easy to miss the mark and get an out of focus subject.

Here's what I'm talking about - look at the blurred background:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:22 AM   #4

I would get either the Canon XTI or Nikon D80. I think they have the better Image quality. I have the Canon XTI and I Love it. It does tend to under expose at times, but I would rather have an underexposed Image than an overexsposed one. You can always turn up the exsposer in the menu. And I think Canon has a larger choice of Lenses and sometimes a little cheaper. The Canon is a little smaller in size than the Nikon. I have larger hands, but the size of the Canon doesn't seem to bother me to much. The Nikon comes with a little bit better kit Lense than the Canon dose, and the Nikon dose cost a little more. I get pretty good IQ out of my Kit Lense on my Canon.Basically it comes down to what you like better, Canon or Nikon;:|
Harrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:55 AM   #5

In all fairness, any of the Canon, Nikon, or Pentax consumer level DSLR cameras will do an excellent job for you. Children can be a challenge to photograph well. JohnG has provided some excellent examples.

The main thing is this: your photographic skills has to sharpen up as well to get those "keeper" kind of photos that you seem to want. So, you might want to take a good digital camera course at your local Community College, or something like that.

Yes, the camera, the lenses, and the photographer are all in play and part of the equation to get really great photos.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:57 AM   #6

don;'t forget the Nikon d40 if you are not plannig to change settings for every shot.
th ekit lens on d40 will do quite well for you.

prime lens are not zoom lens so if zoom is important - primes may not be the answer.
Something like Tamron 17-50 2.8 may be a good choice if you need to shoot without flash.

d40 is a smart camera that gets out of the way of a novice photographer and lets you shoot without thinking what setting to change.

There are a few people who think d40 is not a real dslr because it has all most of the settings hidden in menus. Well, who needs them if you never change them.

all I change is ISO, shutter speed and apperture. d40 does all of these automatically. Canon does not have an auto ISO which becomes another thing you have to remember to change all the time. I got a Canon myself, I wish there was auto ISO.

so in other words - if you are clueless about photography get a Nikon d40 or Pentax k100d

if you at least somewhat know what you are doing - get Nikon d80 or d70 , Canon XTi, Pentax k10d... Aside from Canon XTi - these are all bigger cameras.

All can produce great quality images.

O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:14 AM   #7
Super Moderator

The Canon auto modes will automatically select ISO between 100,200 and 400. It won't go higher than that though.

Any of the entry level DSLRs are fine for OP.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 6:15 PM   #8

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
The Canon auto modes will automatically select ISO between 100,200 and 400. It won't go higher than that though.
I DID NOT KNOW THAT! thanks
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 3:55 PM   #9

In my searching for a dSLR I read that Canon is very good for low-light and lower noise. If you get a nice 50mm lens, then it doesn't matter what camera you get because the lens will let in plenty of light.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:22 PM   #10

cgl88-

What you have said is true. However, it is true for all of the consumer level DSLR cameras when equipped with their 50mm lens with an aperture of F 2.0 or greater. So this is not just the sole venue of Canon. It equally applies to the Nikon, Sony,and Pentax DSLR cameras as well.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote