Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:03 AM   #1

Hi

I need to buy a new digital camera with the following specifications, can somebody please help and suggest some models?

5MP or more... reasonably sleek/compact body... uses AA/AAA alkaline/rechargeable batteries... Higher ISO (1000 or more)... 3-5x optical zoom or more... Optical Image stabilization

:idea:?

Thanks

Raj

Raj Mazumdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:19 PM   #2

As far as I could tell, the Panasonic DMC LZ-3 is the only one out there that meets all of your criteria.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:34 PM   #3

Thanks, the Hun...

Is ISO 800 good for nightshots? Just wondering?

Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:40 PM   #4

Raj-

ISO 800 will work for night shots as long as the camera is on a tripod. However, using less ISO (in as much as you are on a tripod anyway) will produce less noise in the photo.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:02 PM   #5

Thanks MT/Sarah

I happen to own a Panasonic Lumix SLR type digital camera that I bought 2 years back. It has all good features but is lousy when it comes to nightshots as it is only ISO 400. Hence this time I am looking for a better nightshot-capable camera that uses AA batteries. I want to have the flexibility with AA batteries as I am always worried of dedicated batteries going "out of market" when the model/brand becomes obsolete. More than 5MPs,pocket-able size, Optical Stabililizationand a reasonably good optical zoom are some of my requirements. We have a 2-year old in our family and hence size is very important as an SLR size camera usually forms an extra piece of luggage and so do otherequipments liketripods.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Raj
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:27 PM   #6

Raj,

If low light photography is really important to you, I don't think the LZ-3 is for you. The ISO 800 is only available at reduced resolution, and even the ISO 400 performance is poor. If low light is your main concern, take a look at the Fuji F30 or F31. No AA's, no IS, but superior low light performance, with ISO 3200 capability.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:26 AM   #7

Thanks for your reply, Rinnie

Perhaps these are the ones that are absolutely necessary for me:

1) AA batteries compatibility

2) Sleeker model (as much as possible)

3) Good night-shot

4) IS

Does that make it easier?

Thanks

Raj
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:18 AM   #8

Raj-

If you use a tripod, night photos using a lower ISO, are very possible. Panasonics are very noise prone. Based on my experience with the FZ-1, FZ-7, FZ-10, and FZ-20, as long as you stay at ISO 200 and below, you can get good photos.

Here is an example taken handheld with my FZ-7 at ISO 200.

Sarah

Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:30 AM   #9

Wow!! That's a nice one, Sarah... yeah, we have a 2 year old and Tripod is not an option. I will have to take handheld shots in a concert. Do you think Sony/Pentax/Casio/Nikon/Canon has any better models (ruling out Panasonic) when I am looking at sleekness (nonSLR), AA batteries, Good nightshot capabilities and IS?

Thanks

Raj
Old Jan 23, 2007, 1:38 PM   #10

Raj-

I would begin experimenting with the camera you already own. My sample photo was taken handheld at ISO 200 with my Panasonic FZ-7. So start experimenting with open shade shots and then move indoors. The amount of light that you have available to light your photo will determine your shutter speed. If your present camera has IS you will be protected from blurring at low shutter speeds.

This takes developing a technique to get these photos. And there will be times when you do get photos that do show blurring just because the action is too fast. This sample shows that.

Sarah
Attached Images