Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:52 AM   #1

Well, I have had a Nikon Coolpix 4800 for a couple years now and really came to enjoy photography...I haven't done much with it for awhile, but have just gotten back into it. As soon as I discovered techniques that I could not use because of the limitations of a point and shoot...I wanted a dslr....so here I am.

My budget is 600ish (a little over or under, preferably under, for everything (camera, lense(s), bag, etc.). I have a few things in mind at this point and they are:

Nikon D50

Pentax K110D

Olympus E-500

Canon Rebel XT

The Pentax or the Nikon would be my preferred choices, with the Canon being pretty much the top end of my budget.

I would primarily just be doing random stuff like landscapes, inanimate objects, plants, animals, etc. So, I guess I would be content with a packaged lense for a while, but will of course expand my lenses as I get the money.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
travis8798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:42 AM   #2

Travis-

A lot of folks are looking into doing just what you are considering. Yes, if you limit your lens buying urge, it can be done within your budget and you will get increased photo quality and much greater photo flexibility.

Here is a sample photo taken with my KM 5D and a Sigma 28-135mm lens that I found over on e-bay for just $60 delivered.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the input.

My cousin has a D50, and I just found out that he has a 70-210 telephoto that I could pick up for cheap, assuming I purchased a d50, which would be a nice addition right off the bat. Beyond that, I would probably just want to pick up a macro lense and I would be fairly satisfied.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:49 PM   #4

Travis-

The D-50 is a great camera. I like mine a lot. I think you will really enjoy it a lot.

MT/Sarah
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:32 PM   #5

With a dSLR under $700 you won't get the reach of your current p&s but you can get some good shots.

You could get a longer lens later.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:04 PM   #6

Obviously, I am new to this....so what kind of distances are reachable with say... a 70-210mm lens? I understand that the 28-80mm lens included in the kit that I listed in my original post will not have much range at all, but kind of distance are we talking with that?
Old Jan 21, 2007, 6:17 PM   #7

travis8798 wrote:
Quote:
....so what kind of distances are reachable with say... a 70-210mm lens?
The answer depends on what you are shooting and what your goal is with the shot.

Here's what I mean - a human at 20 yards will fill about 2/3 of the frame and you can get a nice, sharp shot of him. A bluebird at 20 yards will be very tiny and you're not likely to end up with much detail when you crop down. By the same token, if you're taking shots of the grand canyon, you can take a shot of a formation 1/2 mile away and the detail will be just fine because you're not going to crop down tight on a 4 foot section of rock.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:11 AM   #8

E-500 - If you get it, get the 2 lens kit. You can probably find it for near the price of the single lens kit you posted [on edit: actually it's about $100 more]. Even so I think you might find better value on the Pentax or Nikon right now.

Pentax - Be sure to look into the rebate offer. If you buy the 50-200 lens at the same time as the camera you get $150 total back. So you end up with a 2 lens "kit" comparable to the Olympus lenses, for under $550 after the rebate. Also consider the K100D, which is the same camera but with in camera stabilization to prevent blur from shooting handheld.

D-50 - This model is being discontinued, and there are some good prices out there if you look. Cameta camera on ebay sells factory refurbs that come direct from the manufacture. They've had quite a few out there this weekend, and have been selling it with a Tamron 2 lens kit. It's been selling this past weekend for $500-$530. The biggest drawback is that the 28-80 lens really doesn't go as wide as you'd like on a 1.5 crop DSLR. An 18-55 lens would be better. But the Tamron 70-300 Di lens seems like a good value in this kit.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:14 AM   #9

If you can get by with the Olympus E-500 two lens kit, that is the biggest bang for the buck in the DSLR market today. The 14-45mm lens will give you wide angle performance and the 40-150mm is even better and tack sharp.

I purchased this kit and it has been great.

MT/Sarah