Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 6, 2007, 6:04 PM   #11

fritz-

(A) If the Canon S-2 was rated by Consumer Reports to have better optical/photo quality than the Canon S-3:

(B) If the S-2 is readily available and priced $60 to $70 LESS than the S-3:

(C) If you were to take the time to research the actual difference between the S-2 and the S-3, you would find they are very small. Is an intervolometer that valuable?

I know where I would be heading, based on the statements made in your post in this thread.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:11 PM   #12

Thanks for the advice. I did research the differences on these 2 cameras and while the differences are pretty small, they are differences that I may notice. The slightly larger display would be the biggest. I don't know if I'd use the additional "presets" or not, but I'm almost certain that I would never use the widescreen ratio thing on the S3.

Thanks again.
fritz_monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:24 PM   #13

Hi,

I am also considering these exact cameras. I am fairly new to photography but would love to learn beyond 'point and shoot'. The 12x zoom and movie mode would be handy for my son's competitive swimming events and my wife's baseball. My 12 year old daughter is also interested in photograhy as well. She loves taking closeups of flowers and scenery shots. She currently has an older Nikon Coolpix 2MPixel that she loves and takes great pictures.

Can't really afford to make the jump to dSLR and all the lenses yet.

From reading all the posts in this article, I come away with: there is not much difference in picture quality between the different cameras and that the recommendation is the Canon S3 IS.

We are going to the East Coast of Canada (PEI) this summer and I would like to have a new camera by then to take some pictures of the spectacular scenery of the area.

Further confirmation of the recommendation of the S3 and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

New to Forum
duke2555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:33 PM   #14

Sorry, forgot to add one other that I am considering is the Canon G7.

Is price similar to others?? Other than 6x vs. 12x optical zoom and the G7 can take an external flash...other major differences??

Thanks
Old Feb 8, 2007, 3:26 PM   #15

Duke -

You have to keep in mind that the internet price of the Canon G-7 is $(US) 466.00, while the Canon S-3 has an internet price of $(US) 317.00. That is a fairly substantially dollar difference between those two camera. Also with the current rebates being offered on consumer level DSLR cameras, their prices and that of the Canon G-7 are very similar. However, to match the zoom capability of the ultra zooms you would have to buy another DSLR lens.

Of the ultra zoom cameras on the market the Sony H-2 ($US 279.00) and the Sony H-5 ($US 355.00) would be my top choices because the do better shooting in a low light level environment without flash.

If video clip performance is important to you, then the Canon S-3 is the winner.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:14 AM   #16

Thanks for the advice, I have another option that I have just started researching...

What about the Canon A710 IS 7MPix 6xOptical zoom with image stabalizer?

How does it compare to the S3 or the H2, H5?

My only concern, as mentioned earlier in the post, about the SONY is the propietery memory stick and the cost associated with it.

The fast SD cards have come way down (2GB 150x for $70CDN)

The H5 is advertised at $470CDN, the S3 at $445 CDN, the A710 at $364 CDN.

I think the Canon G7 and extra lenses is out of my price range. Would like to stick to $400-600 CDN range.

A superior movie mode would be nice, but not a deal breaker. Would like some movie mode capability.

Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:42 AM   #17

Duke-

Thanks for giving us a budget to work with in your camera search. That helps a lot to re-focus the search. If 6X optical zoom is acceptable for you, then the Canon A-710 IS is a very good choice. It has received excellent user and professional reviews.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:35 AM   #18

Thanks MT/Sarah

given that all are in my price range, what would your recommendation be?

I would like to take some photography classes (maybe with my daughter) so manual mode on a camera would be important would it not? The scene modes will be good for ease of use to begin with.

I don't know what the comparison between 12x and 6x optical zoom (other than the obvious) would be unless I actually had both to compare. Maybe I'll stop by a camera shop that has both and compare.

Most of our pictures are closeups, portraits, sports, wildlife and scenery shots.

Movie mode and sound will be a bonus but picture quality, ease of use and being able to "learn" with the camera are probably the biggest factors.

Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:51 AM   #19

Quote:
My only concern, as mentioned earlier in the post, about the SONY is the propietery memory stick and the cost associated with it.
http://www.adorama.com/ILXMS2GBP2.html

There's a high speed MS Duo card for $53. I do think SD is preferable. But how much to weigh that migh depend on how you use the cards. If you are going to use many cards, it becomes important. For me, I tend to buy one card, which then never leaves the camera.

Also, while the difference in image quality between the S3 and S2 is very small, I believe most professional review sites found the S3 to be slightly better.

Other advantages over the S2:
6MP vs. 5MP
slightly larger screen
support for SDHC memory
live histogram while shooting

Those may or may not be worth the price difference.

As for the difference with the A710IS, the main one is the A710 has less zoom and is a smaller camera. It has about half as much reach on the telephoto end as the superzoom cameras.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:29 PM   #20

Thanks Ken,

also, if I'm not mistaken, you can add lenses to the S3 but not to the A710 correct?? and the A710 will take an external flash, but the S3 will not.

Duke