Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:09 PM   #1

Hello,

I have been reading the reviews on this forum and have shortlisted these cameras

Pnansonic FZ7

Canaon S3

sony DSC H2

Sony DSC H5

New to the digital photography (photography in general too) and woud like to use for going outdoors, kids, home. I will require an IS and a god video capability.

I had used a H2 and was pretty impressed by its flash and zoom ability, but had a trouble with the shutter button coming out. Also sometimes I faced a long delay time

S3 seems to give a clear view in the LCD for long zooms (did not shoot it though).

The reviews here also show FZ7 as a good camera and it does comes with a low price tag.

Please advise and thanks for reading

Apoorv

rajapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:53 PM   #2

Because the Panasonic FZ-7 shows a lot of noise when used at ISO settings above ISO 200, my personal choice would be the Sony H-5.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 2:54 AM   #3

Only one opinion? My question was/is exactly like this but whant to add something:
FZ7 and H2 are the same price and the S3IS(512 SD card included) and H5 , 100 USD more than the others. I like to take all kinds of pictures, mostly nature and human faces.

Is it true that S3 IS does not support cards bigger than 1 GB ??
Also can I use this kind of card? http://www.emag.ro/carduri_memorie/c...--pSDSDPH-1024

Thank you very much.

George

P.S. I never had a camera before but I love taking pictures
sergheiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:07 AM   #4

George-

The Sony H-2 is just a bit different than the H-5, but still a very excellent camera. Here are the differences.

H-5 has 7.2mp and a 3 inch LCD. The H-2 has 6.0mp and a 2 inch LCD screen. So quite honestly the difference are neglidgeible. The Panasonic FZ-7 is another excellent camera, but due to noise it is functionally limited to a maximum ISO setting of 200. because the Canon S-3 had so few inprovements or the S-2 model, it might be wise to select the Canon S-2, just to save some money.

What separatesyour list of cameras is simply that the best camera for shooting in a low light/high ISO environment in the Sony H-2 or H-5. The other cameras have a much poorer low light shooting capability. The only exception, as I mentioned before, is the Panasonic FZ-7, but them it is restricted to ISO settings of 200 and below, which results in very low shutter speeds.

Ican provide photo samples from the Canon S-2, the Panasonic FZ-7, and the Sony H-5 if you desire as I own and have used all three.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:10 PM   #5

Thank you for your reply. Still, I found a better offer for the S3 IS and because it's not so different from H5 I'll take it.

So, maybe someone will answer these questions:

Is it true that S3 IS does not support cards bigger than 1 GB ??
Also can I use this kind of card? http://www.emag.ro/carduri_memorie/c...--pSDSDPH-1024

thanks
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:47 PM   #6

go with the s3

i am still using S1 and it has such a great feature set even still panasonic or sony can not offer.

some features on the s3:

intervalometer

taking picture while recording movie

zooming while taking videos

great stitching for panoramic pictures

wind filter and stereo recording of sound

what other camera offers all these?
echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 3:35 AM   #7

Yes, I too would select the S3. As far as image quality is concerned there isn't much of a difference between the S3, H2 and H5. May be, the two Sonys perform a little bit better at higher iso, but the S3 is a lot more versatile (flip out display, pano assist mode etc. ) and it has a much better movie mode than the other cams. As MT already mentioned the FZ7 shows more noise than the cameras with Sony sensors, but it is also siginificantly smaller and weighs less than the other cams. While the Panasonic sensors are clearly noisier than the Sonys, they do not suffer nearly as much from the "burned out highlights" syndrom.
Also one should not forget that Sony forces you to buy expensive proprietary memory sticks instead of the cheaper SD cards used by most other manufacturers. Such behavior should be punished.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:53 AM   #8

Thank you so much for your opinions !
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:51 AM   #9

I agree 100% with Kassandro-

He has given you a very excellent capsule mini review of these cameras. Well done, Kassandro.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 6, 2007, 3:31 PM   #10

The memory stick thing is the reason that I decided against the Sony, I also don't like the Fuji and Olympus because of the xD memory requirement. Another deciding feature for me was the battery. I like the option of using AA alkaline batteries in an emergency, so that ruled the Panasonic out for me. I can get spare batteries and even an SD card at 7-11 if I have to.

That was my thinking on this decision. My only issue now is deciding if the S3 IS is worth the extra $100 for the extra features it has over the S2 IS. In the end, I think the S3 is going to win out for me, even though Consumer Reports actually rated the picture quality of the S2 as better than the S3.

Thanks
fritz_monroe is offline   Reply With Quote