Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 21, 2007, 6:09 PM   #1

Im looking for a fairly compact digital camera with excellent image quality, decent noise quality and decent battery life. Im going on my honeymoon in June and dont want to risk taking my bulky expensive canon equipment with me to Mexico.

My Olympus c4000 has such great image quality, but I need something a bit less bulky with higher resolution than 4mp.

I have tried the Canon SD550 and returned it immediately due to poor image quality and horrible indoor/evening photos. The images were all very soft, even in daylight.

I got the Lumix dmc LX2. Beautifully made and fun but the image quality is still pretty bad indoors and is ok outdoors. Extremely noisy indoors to the point of unusable and embarrassing photos. The bulky lens cover is slightly annoying and makes it difficult to put in my purse. It's really slow in writing to the card also. Battery life is pretty bad (not as bad as the 550 though.) However, I like the option of raw and the 16:9 wide option and the LCD is great.

I want to sell the lumix and purchase something a little quicker with better quality images. I dont necessarily need RAW but it would be nice. I'd rather have beautiful images than a pretty looking camera.

Anyone have any info about the canon G7 or the s80? I passed up the G7 for the Lumix bc of RAW and size/weight. I think I might have made a mistake.
Any ideas?
FoxyImaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2007, 4:22 AM   #2

Steve had a positive review of the G7. It seems like a very solid camera with a lot of things going for it, although it is a step down from the G6 in a few ways (no RAW, fixed LCD, slower lens). For me, it wouldn't be portable enough for a purse cam. The S80 was also a fine camera and the one thing that kept me from buying it (okay, the other thing, after price) was the noisy photos at ISO 400. Since it doesn't have image stabilization either, I don't know that it would offer you much improvement in your indoor/evening photos.

I'm guessing there's a reason that you didn't mention the Fuji F30 or F31fd, because they seem to be exactly what you're looking for (except for RAW, although you mentioned that you'd be willing to give that up). The F30 is the camera that I chose asmy "fun cam" when I don't feel like toting my SLR around.

Stephanie
sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:20 PM   #3

Actually, I keep hearing good things about the fuji F30, however does it take nice daytime photos as well? I heard its a bit flat on the colors in daylight, but I guess you cant have everything. Thanks for the heads up on the noisy s80. That would definately sway my decision.

I will check out the F30 and maybe try it out in the store a couple times b4 jumping into it.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:30 PM   #4

In March, Fuji is coming out with the F40fd. It is a bridge between the F20 and the F31 but with 8 megapixels instead of 6. The F40 will accept SD cards as well as xD. The body is the F20 but has the face detection and great low light ability of the F30 & 31. ISO goes to 2000 vs. 3200 on the F30 & 31, but1600 on the Fuji is as high as I was willing to go before noise is too much for my liking. You lose the ability to set the aperature and shutter speeds. That may not be a deal breaker if you are primarily looking for a point-and-shoot. You can read more about it here.

http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3434

Best Wishes on your wedding!

Malinda
Malinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:55 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind since I have some time still.

I also heard the canon powershot sd700 is a great camera. Anyone have input on this one vs. the G7 & vs. the newer SD800 in the image quality and speed department? Reviews say its great but Im looking for some personal user experiences as well.

thanks a abunch!
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:55 PM   #6

This is how my Fuji F30 does outdoors, with no post processing (just resized to post).

Attached Images

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:57 PM   #7

One more:
Attached Images

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote