Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 7, 2007, 1:43 AM   #11

Well, my s6000fd arrived at 3:00 this afternoon and, much as it hurt me since I wanted to be the one who got to play with the camera, by 5:00 I had it in the hands of my student manager for her first night time soccer match with the new camera. (I did get to play with it a little during the girls' match.)

Initial reaction after viewing the first round of shots? Overall, very good. Attached are a couple of the better shots after sundown. All were taken with ISO 3200... Some postprocessing....primarily USM and noise reduction...some cropping, but not nearly so severe as previously. Biggest issues were all related to training....inability to get manual zoom adjusted to give Continuous Focus a chance and proper framing, neither of which can be attributed to camera;

BTW....the match wasn't so hot either.....boys team I coach had to settle for 2-2 tie while girls team was victim to a 16-1 shellacking.

Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 1:48 AM   #12

I liked this one....even if it wasn't "action"
Attached Images

Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:31 AM   #13

Coach,

Glad you like the new camera - maybe you'll actually get to use it :-)

And thanks for posting some pictures from the camera in real-world low light conditions. These types of images are very important to people making a buying decision as they can see whether or not the camera will meet their shooting needs.

Enjoy

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:15 AM   #14

John,

I posted the shots above VERY late at night while winding down from the match. Tonight I had time to go back through the shots and study what the camera was doing on shots that were most successful, and to find out why others were not so good.

Each of the shots posted above was with relatively short zoom--the boy trapping the ball at 17mm (fairly high level of cropping) and the one of the girl who was frustrated about being knocked down at 33mm. Each of them was in the range of f3.9 or so and a shutter speed of about 1/170th. All shots were taken in Program mode with an ISO of 3200. High Speed Shooting mode was used for all.

Consistently, when the zoom was moved out to longer zooms, blur was a problem. This can be attributed to the lense's relatively slow f4.9 at max zoom. I just checked one shot at 49mm at f4.4. Shutter speed was up to 1/38th of a second. She was shooting freehand because she "didn't like" the tripod I provided.

Recognize this is only the first match shot with the camera, but the stadium lighting is pretty good for a high school stadium, so I don't expect significantly better results in other stadiums. The biggest variable in terms of quality was camera position. I had printed off your tips for shooting soccer from the Sports and Action forum for her to read. Had she heeded them consistently, I would have had a much better collection of shots--two points in particular.....distance from subject and getting proper camera angle to get faces. (The shot below could have been sensational with better position. It was at max zoom....67mm at f4.9...1/68th of a sec. It's still not horrible.) Our next match Friday is a three hour bus ride, so I suspect I'll have plenty of time to "review" your shooting guidelines, lol. I would recommend your tips as required reading for anyone getting ready to shoot soccer, particularly at night.

All in all, the Fuji s6000fd appears to be a tremendous improvement over my Olympus C-750. The camera was more than up to the task when given a chance. There is a learning curve, particularly if used to a motorized zoom. Color was excellent, even under stadium lights. Noise, even at ISO 3200, was not nearly the problem I expected. I'm more than happy and feel I got terrific advice from members of the forum. Thanks to all.
Attached Images