Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:47 AM   #31

Thanks for the heads up, I just bought it from Computer Geeks!! Should I be concerned that it is refurbished though??
choop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 1:56 AM   #32

Some people say that refurbished cameras are more likely than new products to be ok since they are supposed to have been checked thoroughly by some technician upon their return to the manufacturer. Most refurbished digital cameras have just a 90 day warranty, but Kodak seems to cover its refurbished cameras for a year.

There are no guarantees (beyond the one year warranty). If you want, you can get an extended Mack warranty from some place.Check out http://www.mack.com for a list of their warranties. I got one for a refurbished Fuji E550 two months ago. It covers it for 2 years.

Anyway, I wish you luck with your new camera.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:38 AM   #33

Great, thanks. I can't wait to get snappin'!!

I will hopefully get it in a few days since computergeeks.com is only 100 miles away!!
Old Jan 30, 2007, 1:14 PM   #34

Choop-

I am glad to hear that you are all set for that big trip. It is an excellent idea to have the camera in hand early enough to get really comfortable with it.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:10 PM   #35

By the way, I want to get a 2gb sd card for the camera. I'm looking at the Sandisk Ultra II High Speed card. Do you know if that card will work with the P880? I know some electronics tend to be a bit finiky when it comes to the higher capacity cards. Also if it does work in the camera, any ideas on deals for this card??

Thanks for the all the continued advice!!
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:16 PM   #36

Go to www.newegg.com and look for sd cards. The P880 should have no problems with card up to 2GB. I don't know about 4GB.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 5:48 PM   #37

Cool, thanks for the link. I'm also looking at one on ebay.

The Sandisk Ultra II is "high-speed" do you think this will help with speed and RAW pic taking, or is it just a "gimick"?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:29 AM   #38

Chris-

IMHO, you really don't need a high speed chip with the Kodak P-880. So you might be able to save some money. Please keep in mind the Kodak RAW will require much more post processing. Some folks only want to do minimal or no post processing.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:36 PM   #39

Choop:

The camera is only part of what you should be worried about......

Don't forget your gonna have to have a place to store all those images while you are on the road this summer on your honeymoon. Make sure you have plently of memory cards and/or a storage device that you can download the images to each day.

I would strongly suggest a 4GB card for that camera to get you through a full days shooting and a 40GB Wolverine hard disc storage device (or similar device by another manufactor)to give you enough storage for 2 weeks. I buy all my gear through bhphotovideo.com. I have one of the older 20GB Wolverine devices and it works very very well for me when I travel (just recently I had issues cause it would not work with my xD cards but a helpful soul on here solved my issues). Just shoot all day, upload the meory cards, erase them in your camera and start over the next day.Granted I use the Fuji S5200 and xD memory cardsbut bhphotovideo has some of the best service and prices around on everythign I have needed.

Other sites to search for memory cards and these devices are newegg.com; amazon.com and believe it or not try your local Best Buy and Superwalmart.

If you will have your laptop with you you can take several DVDs and burn your photos to DVD every few days.If your laptop doesn't have a DVD burner and just a CD buner than you ill juyt need more discs. Also with a laptop a small mini 40GB or 80GB external hard drive can be an opion if you already own one. Just if you take a laptop don't forget a memory vcard reader or USB cable for the camera.

My brother wentin Europe in 2004 with a 2.1MP camera and a 1GB memry card for 2 weeks and almost killed himself cause he didn't have any other storage for his images. He thought 1GB was gonna be enough. He ended up going into delete mode and shoot at 640 x 480 for lat last 7 days.

Also don't forget a plug adaptor so you can charge the camera/run any laptop etc you take with you.

Hope this helps

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote