Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 23, 2007, 1:21 AM   #1

So I think I've decided to go with the FZ50 -- despite all of you DSLR buffs who cringe at the noise, andeven more at the noise reduction. Would a good flash allow me to shoot indoors at a low enough ISO to avoid the noise problems (even when pics are enlarged to 8X10 or more)? If so, which flash would you suggest?

Thanks in advance,

Lisa
lisamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:26 PM   #2

Lisa-

I don't own a Panasonic FZ-50, but I have found that I can do acceptable low light level photos, with my FZ-7, without flash as long as i keep the ISO setting at ISO 200 and below.

Here is a handheld sample done with just the existing light at ISO 200.

Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:07 AM   #3

Thank you for sharing your picture, Sarah-- excellent! This puts my mind at ease (the shots of my kids blowing out their birthday candles will be just fine). I think I get caught up in the reviews without realizing that my demands are not as high as that of a professional, and my conditions are not as challenging either(the low light I will be dealing with is my family room at night with the lights on -- nota dark auditorium or sports stadium).

Do you like your FZ7? What other cameras do you own, and are there any that are similar to the FZ-50 (zoom, IS, manual controls) that you would recommend over it?

lisamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:53 AM   #4

Lisa-

The photo that I posted had the big benefit of stage lighting that is a good deal brighter than just about any lighting thatyou will find around the house. So please do not take my photo sample as a green light to get the same kind of results with just home lighting.

I teach University and Community College courses in digital cameras, so I have lots of digital cameras around the house. I also have been a working photographer for many years.

I am concerned that you might perhaps think that the FZ-50 can do more than it really can. It is a camera that is prone to noise and it is very large in physical size. If your desire is to take photos without flash, using just at home, room lighting, I really don't believe the FZ-50 is a good choice.

Price-wise the Panasonic FZ-50 is right at the price level of the consumer level DSLR cameras. Because of the much larger size of their imagers, the consumer level DSLR cameras can handle room lighting with ease when used with a F 1.8 or F 1.4 50mm lens. Take a look at the photos that JohnG has posted using no flash. And the consumer level DSLR cameras are actually smaller in physical size as well. If you don't want to move to the DSLR camera level, then you might want to take a look at the Fuji F-40 or the Fuji S-6000 cameras.

When you have a chance, please tell us more about the kind of photos you want to take and the kind of lighting that you will be dealing with for your photos. Is a lot of zoom a needed item for you?

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote