Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 23, 2007, 5:41 AM   #1

OK, so I finally decided on the SD700 after much investigation on the SD800 and Panasonic FX01/07 and FX3. Problem is that the SD700 is onlyavailable as a refurb or from a no name reseller at a jacked up price. All the big boxes (Best Buy, Circuit City, Frys, etc) claim the SD700 is discontinued and the SD800 is the replacement. I take what they say with a grain of salt since a salesman at one of these stores once told me USB ports in computers were for Universal Satellite Broadcasting.

Anyway, does anyone believe the SD700 is discontinued or is there just a shortage now?

If I can't get the SD700 I am going to go with either SD600 or SD630. Is the image quality the same on these models? If so I can figure out the right one from feature and price. Ifimage quality isdifferent, please help me pick thebetter one.

Thanks

freeman.joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:02 AM   #2

I believe the SD700IS has been discontinued. It's been superceded by the SD800IS and the SD900. The SD700IS is still readily available online, but the price has been creeping upward since the holiday season.

Please note that the SD700IS has image stabilization whereas the SD600 and SD630 do not.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 3:52 PM   #3

Already?! Amazing. The SD630 is better than the SD600 in the sense that the 3" screen will make framing the shots - and showing them off directly from the camera - much more convenient. I would imagine they consume batteries a bit more quickly.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:19 PM   #4

Well, I can pretty much confirm the SD700 is discontinued. Went to many stores tonight and was told the SD800 was the replacement and I could buy their SD700 floor model. Problem was none of the floor models were in good condition.

So I decided on the SD800 when I saw it at Office Depotfor $319. But they didn't have any SD800s in stock either at any local Office Depots.

So I ended up getting a SD600 for $199 from the same Office Depot. Battery is charging, wish I hadn't read the reviews of the SD700, looked like a great camera.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:20 AM   #5

The 700 is a great camera. Might want to check dell.com

I ended up selling my sd700 to my uncle while on vacation thinking I could easily buy one when I come back. However, I had trouble finding one too, so I decided to go with an a710 since it has manual controls where the sd series do not.
unrealii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:04 PM   #6

zzf has this in stock. I've heard nothing bad about them:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=162576
unrealii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:42 PM   #7

Wouldn't you know it, now that I bought the SD600 I found the SD700 in stock finally at Crutchfield. I had one shipped today and will be returning the SD600. Good Deal!