Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:51 PM   #1

I currently have an istDL and was thinking about switching to a D, but I was wondering... what are the biggest differences in these cameras?

I like the idea that the D supports external TTL flashes and not just P-TTL, supports a vertical shutter release/battery grip, has an 11-point AF system vs the 3-point AF system of the DL.

But the Duses CompactFlash memory... so the only bad thing I seeso far is having to rebuy memory. Has anyone used one of the SD-to-CF adapters? Do they work? Do you sacrifice any speed?

Will I lose ANYTHING by switching to the D from the DL? (besides LCD size)
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:18 PM   #2

Hi,

Can't say about the cameras themselves but the SD to CF adapter works fine.

I have the Konica-Minolta adapter and it works prefectly, there is no noticeable loss of speed that I can tell.(It did cost £40 though!!)

So now you just need the information on the 2 cameras!!

Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:24 PM   #3

Thanks... I have about 3gb worth of SD cards and I saw some of those adaptors starting around $15 (USD) shipped on eBay. So that will save me a ton by not having to rebuy cards and without having to buy another card reader. I believe both cameras have reviews on both Steve's and dpreview.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:51 PM   #4
Administrator

We kind of expect to hear something from Pentax about a new "pro" leveldSLR either at PMA 2007 (March 2007)or maybe later inthe year. The *ist D is nowa "dinosaur" having come out backin 2003 andPentax isbound to replace it soon. I would also guess it will use their 10mp sensor.So unless the price of the D model is what has your interest, you might want to wait a bit.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:55 PM   #5

If I understand the main concern here, it's the difference between TTL and P-TTL flash, mostly and the battery grip, with the added benefit of the extra focus points.Is it likely that they would go backward to the TTL flash with a pro level camera?

You would get almost all of this with the DS - TTL flash, extra focus points and pentaprism viewfinder, but no battery grip and a smaller LCD screen than the DL.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:52 PM   #6

The battery grip and 11-pointAF arethe biggest things. TTLis just a plus (I think).The price of the D, DL, and DSis what's holding me back to them, as opposed to waiting it out or buying the K10. From what I have read though... There is really nothing (except LCD) that the DL has on the D, correct?
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:49 AM   #7
TDN

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
The battery grip and 11-pointAF arethe biggest things. TTLis just a plus (I think).The price of the D, DL, and DSis what's holding me back to them, as opposed to waiting it out or buying the K10. From what I have read though... There is really nothing (except LCD) that the DL has on the D, correct?
The program modes are different too, as well as no auto ISO I believe.

I'd recommend taking steve's advice and waiting until march then.

If Pentax is replacing the D with something that has a grip, regular TLL and fast AF, I'm going for it too.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 6:08 PM   #8

Auto ISO isn't a concern, nor are the Scene modes seeing as how I always set my own ISO and stick with my P, Tv, Av, M modes.

I went ahead and bought an *istD and D-BG1 (snagged off eBay for $325 shipped for the body and grip). Waiting for March isn't really an option due to funding and a new baby that will be herewithin a month. This is all so exciting!

Nick
Old Jan 28, 2007, 7:37 PM   #9

I went ahead and took the plunge with an *ist D as well. Ergonomics, and the PC sync jack wre two of the major reasons. Having a user replaceable memory battery was another - gives one the impression the camera is intended to last longer than the 5 - 10 years a Lithium button cell is good for.

Now, if all you people with too much money will quit running up the price of lenses for them......

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 7:44 PM   #10

LOL, No kidding, Those lenses is what kills you.

-Nick