Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:15 PM   #1

I'm very into vivid colors, and I'm looking for a pocket size camera with the most vivid colors. I previously had a Panasonic FX9, at a 80 ISO shot amazing colors, but once they started to increase colors started to fade aswell the image to deteriorate. I was currently looking at the Fuji Finepix F30, seems like a great camera for quality pictures, but the colors don't drive me too crazy. I'll be willing to give up a little quality for better colors! What do you think? Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!
dBluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:16 PM   #2

Kodak is known for saturated colors. You might want to give those a look.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:31 PM   #3

Some cameras (Canon, Fuji, maybe others) allow you increase color saturation in the camera. On my Fuji S6000fd this mode is called "Chrome".
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:47 PM   #4

Chris-

That is very true. However, in all fairness, Kodak seems to have the lock on those really great and vivid colors. We have seen that first hand with our Kodak C-875 digicams.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:19 PM   #5

Quote:
That is very true. However, in all fairness, Kodak seems to have the lock on those really great and vivid colors. We have seen that first hand with our Kodak C-875 digicams.
Good point, Sarah. The Kodak color, while extremely saturated, is not over-the-top like Fuji's "Chrome" mode.

I find it interesting that in the space of about a month, I had the chance to live with the 3 brands I hear/read the most about in terms of having specific color qualities: Canon, Kodak and Fuji. I less often encounter comments relating to color characteristics of, say, Sony, Nikon or Olympus. When I view my couple-thousand or so pictures I have taken over the past two years, I can usually determine the camera very quickly based solely on the color attributes. A few years ago I never would have considered there could be such a variance in "good" color! Yet, I cannot actually say whose color I prefer; it seems to vary based on my mood, and is adjustable at whim via Photoshop.

The OP's quest is a little unusual, as I have never encountered someone who would give up image quality - and by quality I'm assuming the OP means detail, as color reproduction is another aspected of image quality - for vivid colors.

And as a final, curious aside: I just read Jeff's review of the Panasonic FX9 over at DCResource, and he mentioned the color looked a bit washed out!
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 6:31 AM   #6

Chris-

I too, came across several comments about the Pansonic FX9 loosing color intensity or depth as the ISO was increased.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote