Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:35 PM   #1

I have a Nikon 5700, 8x zoom, 5 mp sensor. I want to upgrade to something with a better sensor (more MP's less noise), and longer zoom. To me, no camera is worth the cost unless I actually take it with me to shoot pics, so I do NOT want to carry around a dSLR and 2 zooms weighing 5 pounds or more. I thought the Panasonic FZ50 was ideal... everything in one package with a great Leica zoom, then read about the over aggressive noise reduction and resultant quality loss. Is there decent choice for an all in one with semi-pro quality? Fuji s9100 looks promising... Olympus e500 or e400 with a super zoom, or Nikon with an 18-200 digital zoom seem interesting if a bit heavy. Maybe I ought to wait to see what comes up next fall?
Anyone else feel as I do?
bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:27 PM   #2

Buy a Pentax K100d (it is very small and light for a dslr) and get the tamron 18-200 mm lens or 28-300 mm lens. Will give you better pictures and only one lens to carry around. Look online, you can get K100d for about $560 online, and there is a $50 mail in rebate. The Tamron lenses are around $300 or so. The K100d has built in image stabilization to help prevent blurry pic's due to camera shake. If you want to save another $100 buy the K110d it is same as K100d but no shake reduction.

Peggy
pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:32 PM   #3

Peggy's recommendation is an excellent one. Another option would be the Nikon D-40 or the D-50 equipped with the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens. However, I must warn you the Nikon options will be more costly.

In the area of fixed lens point and shoot cameras, Olympus just introduced the SP-550, which is aimed at the replacement mark for the Olympus C-8080, the C-740, C-765, C-770, and the SP series cameras as well.

It will feature an 18X optical zoom lens with wide angle capabilities as well. The focal length will range from 28mm to 534mm. The SP-550 will also feature optical image stabilization. So there is another possibility.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 4:10 PM   #4

Peggy's solution is probably the best option for you. You'll end up with the best of both worlds and have more options in the future. You'll have much better quality and performance the a point and shoot but still have most of the convenience. If you decide you want to go more professional, you'll already have the DSLR and be able to buy more professional lenses and accessories. And when you want to move up to a higher end, higher resolution camera, you'll save money buy already having the lens(es).
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:46 PM   #5

Thanks to all for the suggestions. One question remains - is the upgrade from 5 MP to 6.1 MP a significant gain in quality to be worth the move? Might I be better off with an Olympus e500 (or e400 when it becomes available) and get a dSLR with 8MP?
bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:44 AM   #6

My opinion is that you won't gain much by buying an 8 mp camera over a 6 mp camera, other than more pixels. And more pixels might not be a good thing (I owned an 8 mp FZ30 for a month and couldn't deal with the extra noise or loss of detail through noise reduction software, along with lessdynamic range- as far as I was concerned it wasn't as good a camera as my 5 mp Sony F717).

There are some people who need the extra mp - birders or people often printing posters.

I happen to own both the K10 and the K100 (and have no intention of selling the K100). When I first got the K10 (10 mp), I went out to evaluate the sharpness of two similar lenses I happen to own, with the idea that I would sell one of them to help pay for the K10. I took full frame pictures and resized them to fit on this board. You can't easily tell which one was taken by the 10 mp camera and which by the 6 mp one. When you look at the 100% crops you can see the extra information that the K10 captures, but if you aren't printing more than 8x10, that extra information becomes lost. If you are interested, the comparison shots are in this thread: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80.

Just my suggestion, but I'd get the K100 - it's also lighter than the K10. There will be plenty of time in the future to upgrade your camera, and you'll already have lenses that will fit the new one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 7:28 AM   #7

bobbert-

Ican see the logic in your suggestion of the 8mp Olympus imager found in the Olympus E-500. However, there is indeed a measurable difference in the imagers used on the Olympus E-500.

They use a Kodak imager with a 2.0 multiplier, that unfortunately does not have the high ISO capabilities (without showing visible noise) that you can find in the imagers used in the Pentax K100, the Nikon D-40, or the Nikon D-50. The Pentax and Nikon imagers have a 1.5 multipier and can easily use high ISO settings without showing much noise.

So, I agree with mtngal, that you would be better served with the 6.1mp imager, than the 8.0mp imager. 'Just my .02 cent worth on the issue.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote