Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 25, 2007, 4:42 PM   #1

i have an Canon A60 which i got about 5 years ago, so i think its time for an upgrade. i'm looking for a camera thats really versatile, like the manual option for choosing shutter and aperture settings and iso settings. video would be good to have on it too, but its not 100% necessary for me. also choosing depth of field is pretty much a must. i've checked other canons, but if theres another brand out there that does the same job let me know
GoodHearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:34 PM   #2

GoodHearted-

How much zomm do you want? Is size a factor in your considerations? Do you want a particular type of media? Such as CF, SD etc. Finally tell us a bit more about the kindsof photos that you like to date. That would make finding you a good camera much easier.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:50 PM   #3

Regarding depth of field, there are two issues. In order to have control of DOF, you need to be able to choose your aperature size - lower aperature, greater DOF. You there for want some manual controls and the camera/lens needs a fairly low aperature - some may only go down to 4 or 4.5.

More importantly, you need longer focal lengths. For DOF, you have to look at the actual focal length, not the 35mm equivalent. For instance, my Canon SD300 has an actual focal length of 5.8 to 17.4 mm, therefor, no matter what the aperature and zoom, there is a large DOF - not much background blur. When it is presented as 35 to 105 mm equivalent (I think - maybe its 28 - 85 or so), it is the field of view you are comparing to - (the shorter the zoom, the wider the shot, longer - narrower). If I had a 5.8 mm lens on a 35 mm camera - I would get very close to 180 degrees - on the small camera and its design, the field of view is less - not sure what the number is - probably closer to 90 degrees, similar to a 35 mm lens on a 35mm camera.

A larger point and shoot will have a larger lens and therefor a longer focal length for similar zoom equivalents. Therefor, if you really want DOF, an actual dSLR or fixed lens camera of a similar size will give you the ability to blur the background, the longer the zoom, the better.

Kevin
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:08 PM   #4

zoom? mine right now has a total of 7x (digital and optical) so i guess around that is ok... size? um..... not so much, considering my A60 is pretty bulky media? i have a cf right now, im not sure the difference between others so i cant answer that kinds of photos? im trying to find a nice camera as an intro professional quality pics... mostly i take nature, some portrait, and products.... i love doing close ups and using dof to make backgrounds blurry while focusing on the main subject..... i think i answered all your questions

with the canon i have now i can change the depth of field to focus on close or fat objects so i'd love to be able to do that on a future camera..... i was thinking of an A540 or A630 just because i know canon a bit, but if theres some brand thats awesome let me know
GoodHearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 7:54 AM   #5

As klfatcj, has correctly noted, due to the short focal length lenses used on most point and shoot cameras, those cameras are going to normally give you lots of depth of field.

You have to go to longer focal length lens to get the blurring behind the point of focus. The type of depth of field are most often seen in DSLR cameras when using large aperture settings.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote