Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:46 AM   #11

Nice photo...

Low-light/no flash can be pretty tough to do, even with IS, which is probably why you are having so many blurry pics. Just keep practicing and hang in there!

There's plenty of case manufacturers... Tamrac, Samsonite, Sunlogic, etc. Just check 'em out and pick which one is best for you.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:00 PM   #12

If you're looking for a bargain, the Kodak Z650 is available for about $200 shipped from best buy or Abes of Maine. Got a good review here too:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../z650_pg5.html

But, if you're willing to spend more, I've got to throw the Fuji S6000 into the mix:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...000fd_pg5.html

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Well I bought my fz7 on the day the fz8 was announced, all of my handheld no flash shots are coming out blurry, I suppose I need to work on my technique?
OK I see maybe I'm a bit late, since you've already bought the camera.

The FZ7 is very good in good light, such as outdoors. It has a very good lens. Indoors you're really better off using the flash with it most of the time.

I think Sarah was just trying to show that it can also manage at least as well as some other top models at natural light indoors without flash, despite it's lack of high ISO capability, due to it's OIS being better than most, and it's lens being a bit faster (and sharper) than most as well. But, low light will still be challenging conditions for any small sensor camera.

I noticed Sarah's sample photo for example was at 1/25s. The IS does make that possible, but it still can take a bit of practice.

I do like that model though, for its smaller size than others, it's build and handling, and it photo quality in good light, and it's affordable price. Low light without flash is the one area I don't think it stands out, though it may be better there than it's sometimes given credit for.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:52 PM   #14

I have been looking at digital cameras like the Canon s3 is. The requirements I need are camera side card slot and a compatible remote control. I have an illness that will require a very good remote and ac adapter. No cradles!
greys4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 1:36 PM   #15

Ken-

There is no doubt about it. Handheld no flash photos take practice. Luckily, I have a lot of practice. What I do is to brace myself as much as possible, and I constantly keep track of the shutter speed the camera is going to use.

I won't attempt anything with lower than 1/25th of a second because I just can't hold it steady enough. And finally I use P for program mode. It will never work in Auto mode, and you won't be able to see the shutter speed the camera is going to use.

I also use the underexposure technique as well to get better results.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 2:50 PM   #16

Apprecite the info. I do use a tripod for everything. I do have my A1 in program mode for shooting large objects. This totally has me stumped.
greys4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 3:33 PM   #17

greys4u-

Perhaps I can help you with your existing light photos. Could you post some sample photos, and tell us what you believe went wrong? Thanks!

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 4, 2007, 4:54 PM   #18

Thanks for the advice, I could still use some info on accessories, as far as what kind of memory card I should look for and decent bags etc. If I need to look elsewhere please point me in the right direction.

I'm still shooting on simple mode, and might for some time, but I'm getting better and can at least turn out a decent snapshot, although i'd like to figure out how to take a picture of something in motion. I've had good luck since i've started using the neckstrap to stabilize the camera.

Here's another doggie picture, I used the flash, it looked very white and blanched on the camera, but looks fine on the computer.

turin39789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:57 PM   #19

yes, turin-

Your photo is a bit over exposed. Use a bit of Exposure Control and you can get that under control rather easily. Or as an alternative you can use Bracketing and that will take three photos. One will be at the normal exposure, one slight ly under and one slightly over. One of those three photos will be right on the mark.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 5, 2007, 2:59 PM   #20

Mt Climber,

thank you for your post regarding the FZ7. I purchased this camera last month and had tinkered with it just a bit then a semi-pro photographer friend of mine checked it out at my request. She felt it was WAY too slow and that I could get more camera for my money. I paid $258.00 shipped from Amazon.com. I felt pretty good about the purchase as I did extensive research into the camera before my purchase. She backed off a bit after I told her that the reviews for the camera were very good. She suggested I buy a high speed memory card to help speed up the camera.

Since then, I've had buyers remorse to the point of angst but chose to keep the camera simply because no matter what I buy something better will be around the corner and one can drive themselves slightly mad at the options. I bought the faster card and am going to just hope I made the right choice. Reading the experiences of other knowledgeable users like yourself really helps. Thanks.
Denise515 is offline   Reply With Quote