Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2007, 4:42 PM   #1

I'm looking for a small camera to carry around for around $150, any ideas? I already have a SLR, but it's just too big to carry around (I'm a college student). Thanks for the help folks.
sblack2588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2007, 6:59 PM   #2

You might want to take a look at the Fuji F-20 camera. It is small and has great low light performance.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 8:57 PM   #3

Another consideration would be the excellent Kodak C875 (which Sarah introduced to me). Here's a photo, straight from the camera, except for a touch of cropping and a slight boost in levels - and resizing to fit the forum, of course:
Attached Images

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 9:06 PM   #4

Hi Chris-

When we consider the Kodak C-875, it is important that folks know that it does not have a viewfinder and that it is really not a low light level camera, like the Fuji F-20 or F-30.

Al in all the Kodak C-875 is a great buy at around $130, but folks have to know its limitations as well.

MT/Sarah
Old Jan 27, 2007, 9:43 PM   #5

Sarah, true, but last time I neglected the C875 you chided me, so I want to be safe! :lol:

We should find out more details from the OP as to the kind of use he/she would like to put the new camera to.

The Fuji F20 does not have an optical viewfinder, and limited manual controls. It also uses the horrid XD format.

The Fuji F20/30/31/40 slaughter all the other P&S cameras in the low-light/no flash arena. I would say the Kodak C875 is respectable compared with the rest of the non-Fuji cameras. And it uses cheap, fast, readily-available SD cards.

Hey sblack, can you clue us in on what features you are looking for?

BTW, here is a shot from my Fuji S6000fd, which is basically the ultrazoom verison of the F30, ISO 800, handheld, run through the free version of NeatImage:

Attached Images

Old Jan 28, 2007, 1:47 PM   #6

Chris-

Your S-6000 photo is just great. You really captured the moment.

I thought of another camera for the OP. How about the Kodak V-550. It even has a optical viewfinder which is handy for those outdoor shots when the LCD is difficult to see. In addition it is small and very handy.

Here is a sample photo taken with my V-550 this morning (01/28)

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

Old Jan 28, 2007, 4:04 PM   #7

thanks everyone for the input. To kind of go over what I'm looking for, I definately want a camera that uses SD cards. Thats what my other camera uses and I don't want to have to go buy different cards. Also, I don't really care much about in depth features either, I just want to be able to turn the camera on and it take a decent picture, I don't want to have to fumble around with the features and possibly miss the random moments you know happen in college.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 5:16 PM   #8

OK, so we've elimiated Fuji and Sony. I guess that basically leaves Canon, Kodak and Panasonic.

The Kodak C875 uses an Auto-scene mode, where it actually quickly analyzes the scene you have it pointed at and attempts to adjust settings where appropriate. And, of course, it also has over 20 conventional scene modes.

You should probably check out reviews of the C875, as well as the Canon A540, and the Panasonic LZ5. The LZ5 may not have quite the image quality of the Kodak or Canon, but it does have image stabilization, which could prove useful.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 5:23 PM   #9

sblack-

The Kodak C-875 and V-550 both use SD cards and require no more setup than turning them on to be ready to take photos. And they are within your budget.

I have also attached two photos of the cameras for you.

MT/Sarah

Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:28 AM   #10

thanks everyone for the help. I think I am leaning toward the kodak c875 right now.