Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2007, 4:11 PM   #1

I am looking for the perfect camera. I do not want to fool with changing lenses and the weight of an SLR, but want to get as close to SLR quality as possible. I would like image stabilization and big megapixals, and HUGE zoom capabilities. My subjects are extremely varied - wildlife on one extreme, and my adorable grandchildren on the other. I have muscular dystrophy, and my hands are very weak, so I need a camera which will both fit in my small hands and which is not heavy and hard to hold and operate - the bells and whistles need to be easy to push! I am looking at several - the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ50, the Fujifilm FinePixS6000fd, the Sony CybershotDSC-H2, the Olympus SP-550UZ, and the Canon Powershot S3 IS. I'm open to other suggestions, and would appreciate first hand knowledge from anyone. Thanks.
merlin78639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2007, 5:03 PM   #2

Merlin-

The Panasonic FZ-50 is a huge camera. I think that it would be better to be sure and handle it first. Likewise the Fuji S-6000fd. I own one and it is nearly as large as my Nikon D-50 DSLR camera. I have attached a photo showing the S-6000 and D-50 side by side.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 5:48 PM   #3

So what about some of the other cameras on my short list? Do you think any of them have merit given my limitations? A friend of mine is really sold on her Panasonic, and I have been trying to tell her that not all cameras are perfect for all people . . . but she still is trying to push the Panasonic off on me because it suits her. Right now I have a Canon 750C, but it has no image stabilization, and the kitties knocked it on the floor last week and broke the zoom, so I'm seriously in the market. Thanks!!
merlin78639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 8:09 PM   #4

I always liked the Panasonic FZ-7, which weighs less than half the FZ-50. But I like small cameras. It also doesn't have alot of megapixels, but I don't think that really matters much except for very large prints. And, a smaller lighter camera also means smaller buttons. So I'm not suree if good ergonomics for me will be the same as good ergonomics for you.

I also think you might consider the S3IS, though it's on the heavy side compared to an FZ-7 (but about the same as th others. You haven't said if you are also limited to a wheelchair at times, but if so, the articulating LCD would offer a much greater degree of freedom in composing shots than a fixed screen or viewfinder. It's buttons also seem a bit friendlier than some of the others--especially the arrow button control used to navigate menus.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 8:17 PM   #5

Merlin-

The lightest Panasonic that offers excellent features and a reasonable price (less than $300) is the FZ-7. Both the Sony H-2 (6mp and 2.0" LCD) and the H-5 (7.2mp and 3.0" LCD are excellent choices as well as able to take higher (ISO 400) existing light photos.

The first photo is from the Panasonic FZ-7 the second photo is from the Sony H-5.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote