Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:42 AM   #11

And here's another photo of Calhoun, taken with the Canon A620. Honest, I do take pictures of things other than cats , but I'm trying to use similar subjects. Of course, the lighting is different... but I think you can see than all three cameras are capable of taking good pics, even in the hands of an inferior photgrapher such as myself.

P.S. Sarah, you can make any camera take "excellent photos", not fair...
Attached Images

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 2:15 PM   #12

One thing I like about those cat pics, you get in close and even get a bit of background blur, even witht he point and shoot. A human subject of course going to be too large normally to do that with with these smaller sensor cameras. But with the cats, your almost getting that DSLR portrait kind of look.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:59 PM   #13

Quote:
One thing I like about those cat pics, you get in close and even get a bit of background blur, even witht he point and shoot. A human subject of course going to be too large normally to do that with with these smaller sensor cameras. But with the cats, your almost getting that DSLR portrait kind of look.
Y'know, Ken, I had never thought about that before, but that makes perfect sense to me. Of course, sometimes I cheat with my photos (although not in the case of the ones I posted here) and I will mask the subject, sharpen it a little bit, and then use a blur brush for the background. Many of my better photos have had unsharp mask and levels adjustments.

I hope another thing you like about those cat pics is that the photoed felines are very cute!
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:38 AM   #14

Just wanted to say thanks a lot for all of the advice.

I'm definitely leaning heavily towards the C875 as I really like the IQ, SD card format, ISO performance and price!

There seems to be many nice smaller cams out there with good IQ and performance, my only gripe with them is that they all seem to take proprietary batteries, and some are hardly smaller than the Kodak.

My admittedly limited experience with lithium batteries with cell phones and laptopstells me their life expectancy just isn't that great, and replacements are way overpriced. My phones and laptops seem to have about half the capacity that they were when they were new after just one year, and I almost always keep a decent charge in them like you're supposed to. But I realize cameras aren't typically used as often, and maybe I just have bad luck with lithiumbatteries.

Well I have about a month to decide for sure, I guess the next step is trying them out in person at a store somewhere (still not sure where the electronic stores are at here in Carson City :-))
Robteam70 is offline   Reply With Quote