Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:12 AM   #1

Hello All, 1st timer, would appreciate any help, I'll try not to make this too long.

I want to step up from a p & S and an old Pentax K1000, (no lens anymore) and get a camera that I can grow into over the next few years. I'm looking for a camerain the 10mp range if possible, and have a budget around $2200 CDN, hopefully including lenses. This is the type of shooting I would be doing,

1. Some indoor- people, not portraits

2. Outdoor- Eagles in flight at not too far of a distance. Old growth forest, where lighting could be low. some action shots, and also close ups of plants (but not too often).

3. Landscape shots and a lot of sunsets.

I've held all the cameras but unfortunately haven't been able to do any shooting with them. I don't know anyone with any of the brands I'm looking at. The XTI is a little small for me, but haven't ruled it out. The 30D, D80 and 10D all feel fairly good in my hand. I know the 30D is a good camera, but price wise for the body alone I could one of the others and have more money towards lenses, etc.. As far as lenses go I would probably be looking at least 2 lenses for each camera . I know for the D80 there is one lens people have talked about 18-200VR as it covers a wide range, but based on the price and availability, is there other options that people might suggest? Looked at the D200, but I think that would be too much camera for me ability/price wise, and getting into a whole new level. I've read quite a few posts, the more I read the more confused I get. Thanks in advance for any help, and I hope I didn't make this too long. Cheers
wet coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2007, 4:38 PM   #2

WetCoast-

Do you really need 10mp? I was faced with the same decision, and after much research I pretty well determined that unless I was cropping a lot or making many 16" X 20" prints, based on my shooting, the 6mp Nikon D-40 or D-50 would do just fine for me. So to, would the Pentax K100d.

I did more research and finally decided on the Nikon D-50 and that has been a great decision. I have really enjoyed the camera, and I was able to spend the money I saved on the needed lenses.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 6:19 PM   #3

MT/Sarah

You have a good point (got hung up on more power). I was thinking that whatever camera Iget, I would have for awhile and my plans would be to be blowing pictures up, close to that size. Also I thought I had the money and would hope that I could get something that would keep me happy with no regrets for a few years. The other option would be get a lower mp camera, learn, and then move up in the following years.

I haven't looked as closely at the lower mp cameras, how is the D40/D50 and the k100 comparitively say to the D80 for example? Also based on what I would be shooting (wide range) what lenses do you have or would you recommend for both the nikon and the pentax? Thanks for taking the time.

WC/Dave
Old Jan 29, 2007, 7:01 PM   #4

Dave-

Here is a shot done with my D-50 and the Nikkor 12-24mm lens. It gives you an idea about the kind of wide vista that this lens and lenses like the Sigma 10-20mm and Tokina 12-24mm can give you.

We are having a typically foggy day along the Oregon Coast, but a bit like Britsh Columbia as well I would imagine.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Jan 29, 2007, 7:23 PM   #5

MT/Sarah,

I see what you mean, that's quite a range. What would you say for a telephoto or kit lens to go with that camera? Also have you had any experience with the Pentax?

It was supposed to be sunny today but the marine cloud has moved in, hopefully the suns back tommorrow..

Dave
Old Jan 29, 2007, 7:56 PM   #6

Dave-

Yes, because I am a digital camera instructor doing DSLR workshops, I also own both the Pentax DS and the newer K100D. Here is a sample photo taken with the K100d and the Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lens, which works quite nicely with the K100d. The shooting environment was reall hostile. It was existing light under flourescent lights at ISO 800. It gave me a very nice result, I think.

I wish that I had a Sigma 10-20mm lens to go on the K100d as well, but you can't have everything.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:21 AM   #7

I have the K100 and love it. Here's a picture I took recently with the kit lens. It's dawn instead of a sunset. but will give you an idea of what type of results you would get from the Pentax kit lens.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:30 AM   #8

This picture was taken a little later with a long telephoto lens (Pentax A*300, an older prime lens that is a manual focus, auto exposure lens) and the K100. I really love this lens, it is a top quality lens that is occasionally available used on ebay or elsewhere. It is excellent for birds but is pretty specialized - you would need something like the DA 50-200 or one of the third party 70-300 lenses for more general use.

Better quality lenses will mean more than having more pixels. I'd say get the K100 and use the extra money to get better lenses. A mediocre lens on the K10 has less potential than a great lens on a K100.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:20 AM   #9

MT/Sarah

It looks like the lens you have works quite well considering that is under flourescent lights. I'm definately going to have to do more research on lenses, being the rookie that I am. Do you have any suggestionsof lenses for me to look at for shooting at a distance such as eagles in flight, for either the Nikon or Pentax. p.s. I didn't realize you were an instructor, thanks for your time.

Dave
Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:56 AM   #10

Dave,

You're probably going to want a 400mm lens for in-flight shots. I'm not that familiar with either system you're considering (I shoot Canon) but with wildlife you can never have enough reach. You're also going to want a lens you can hand-hold (otherwise you get into some expensive tripods and heads for in-flight shots) so I would think something like the Sigma 50-500 might be a poor choice.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote