Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 29, 2007, 5:13 PM   #1

I've bounced around between DLSR's, ultrazooms, and now compacts. My husband and I have decided to get a less expensive compact for now (between $150 and $175). I'll get a DSLR in a few years when I have more time for it (4 kids under the age of6 don't give me much ofa break).

I'll be shooting pics of the kids most of the time (inside and outside, but don't mind using a flash). My son is in soccer, so I like the idea of a bigger zoom (found in the LZ5 and C875). Anyreason I should get one over the other? I like the IS on the LZ5, and"perfect touch" option and all the scene modes on the C875 (not to mention the manualcontrols). Is one faster than the other (practically speaking?) so I don't miss the cute shots?

Baby #4 is due next week, so we need to get something fast!

Thanks,

Lisa

lisamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2007, 7:23 PM   #2

LisaMichelle-

This just might be the time to spend a bit more money to get the better camera. I want to talk to you about the Kodak C-875 and the Panasonic FZ-7.

The Kodak C-875 is an impressive, small, convenient camera. it does a great job, and I am posting two photo samples. The first one is from the C-875. It looks great, but the C-875 does not have IS and it only has 5X optical zoom.

The second photo is from the Panasonic FZ-7. It has 12X optical zoom, IS and a great Leica lens. it cost a bit more, but it also gives you a lot more as well. I thing the biggest thing that it provides is IS and much longer zoom. Yes, it is bigger than the Kodak C-875, but it is still quite small.

Take a look at them both. You will know which is the best camera for your use.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 4:38 PM   #3

MT/Sarah,

Thank you for your advice. I went ahead with the FZ7 -- found a good deal and jumped on it because I was tired of worrying and dreaming about camera specs all night every night. I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse (typical with me).Ignore my ignorance, but will I be able touse ISO 100 indoors (with flash) with squirmy kids? I couldn't justify spending theextra moneyfor the Canon S3 or Sony H5 to ensure less noise (especially considering this is my "try before you buy" camera to get me ready for a DSLR in a few years). Most prints will be 4X6 -- some enlarged to 8X10. If I do find that I'm seeing too much noise in my 8X10's, do most image software programs havenoise removal features?

Thanks,

Lisa

lisamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 8:04 PM   #4

LisaMichelle-

Yes, the Panasonic FZ-7 will do a good job for you, congratulations on your purchase.As long as your subject is no further than 12 feet from the FZ-7, ISO 100 with the camera's built-in flash will work well.

If you have to reach out further (a greater camera to subject distance) you will probably have to use Flash Compensation or increase the ISO setting.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote