Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 31, 2007, 2:09 AM   #11

Is the Nikkor 18-200mm VR a good lens choice for my requirements above? If the 18-200mm VR is a good choice, then I will most likely get it together with the Nikon D80. What do you think? My main reason for choosing the Canon body was because of the 17-40mm USM F/4L since I love the build quality and optics of it. But now I prefer to get the Nikon for the longer lens. What is your advice?
Ulysses'_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 2:11 AM   #12

I have also played around with the Canon EOS 400D before and Ilike the compactness of it, but the smooth body of it looks like can be accidentally scratch easily.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:40 AM   #13

The XTI and the D80 are my favorite cameras to own, they give you vast lenses selection. I've seen both in action on the field, I love them all. You are right, I kept laughing how could they cram so much in such a small XTI body.

You like the D80, shop around for the best price, you can ignore the kit lens 18-135mm, get the 18-200mm VR, but expensive ok. The XTI costs less leave you more room for add on accessories. Both cameras with battery grip on look handsome, you have to hold the cameras with grip on to know the real feeling.

It's a good time to buy a new camera right now, you have time to get to know your camera and ready for spring time soon when birds are at peak time.

The problem is you are obsessed with the 14-70mm f4 L glass, buy the D80 and don't look back. I was in the same situation like you, I made the last decision with the Canon, now I'm checking some super zoom for my next lens. You soon become a Nikon photogrpher.:-)
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:09 AM   #14

Do you use the Canon EOS 400D? Actually I am indeed addicted to that 17-40mm F/4L from Canon haha..because I think it looks cool on the 400D. Anyway I really enjoyed using the Nikon D80 with the 18-135mm at the shop. The Nikon D80 feels like something that I would be happy to pay for. I like the menu graphics and the LCD quality of the Nikon D80 as they are soo nice. The viewfinder of the D80 is alsovery niceand it was really a pleasure to use it with the 11 focus points lighting up clearly. I have also use the Canon EOS 400D beforelike I said, and I was also quite impressby the LCD quality of it since it was so bright and the photos appear to be very nice on it. But I don't really like the shutter release sound ofthe 400Dcompared to the Nikon D80, but that is my opinion. I was thinking about the smooth body of the Canon EOS 400D, whether will it be able to stand the everyday tear and wear or not, especially that large exposed LCD in the rear. The Nikon D80 have a nice hard plastic LCD protector and the graphics still appear to be very nice through it. Maybe I should go for the Nikon D80 even with the 18-135mm or if I am more ambitious, the 18-200mm VR. I feel happy going for the Nikon D80 somehow, and although it is quite expensive, I think it is a good deal to get it with the 18-135mmkit lens. Thanks for your assistance, I will still be open to more suggestions.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:40 PM   #15

The XTI lcd displays the camera setting in large text good for shooting in low light such as museum, concert, dance hall...you see the info instantly when you pull the camera away from your eyes. Don't worry about easily scratch on the body, you can judge thequlity paint on the XTI, it's a nice deep black, smooth texture.

Ah, you mention about the shutter sound, let's go back to the old days film, the Canon F1, A1, the Nikon FM2, F series...those guys hook up a motor drive and fire non stop, years after years those camera still clicking, that's one of the reason I choose Canon and Nikon, these cameras have a solid shutter reliabity record, it's the characteristic of both camera.

The D80 is almost a perfect camera if the flash speed can go up to 1/250 sec with that price range, same with the XTI, I love to see the flash speed slightly above 1/200, however it has a self cleaning sensor feature you can change lens not to worry about dust to a certain degree, it's not perfect but a welcome option. The XTI body is now around $700 I take it.

I hope you have a new camera to celebrate Chinese New Year heh.

http://www.outdooreyes.com/phpBB2/vi...f54268bb6f7b82

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:22 AM   #16

My suggestions:

$430 - Tamron 17-50 f2.8 - If you're really addicted to that 17-40L, I'm sure you'll get that instead of this. And maybe it is better. But, this is not only $250 less, it also weighs half as much. And gets generally great reviews. I think this might just be a more convenient walk around lens overall.
$80 - Canon 50 f1.8 - At this price, you can't really pass it up. It will give you an option for when you need something even faster than 2.8 for those low light events. It might even do for occaisional portrait work (though the "bokeh" can get ugly).
$570 - Canon 70-200 f4.0L USM - You've got to get some L glass in there, right? Sure, there are times you'll wish you had the faster f2.8. But again, this weighs about half as much, and costs about half as much, and will give the same quality 90% of the time. You also will certainly want more zoom at times. But, it sounds like you're not entirely sure what you want yet. So you might as well start with something versatile, and affordable.

That's $1080 total. Enough for you to get the 400d, and still be under budget. Though i have a feeling you're going to blow that budget and go for the 17-40 L anyway, right?

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:24 AM   #17

Nice birding site you have there andYea, I plan to get my new camera before Chinese New Year because I certainly don't want to miss all the greatphoto opportunities coming up. You see, I like the compact design of the CanonEOS 400D a lotbut won't the battery grip make the camera no longer so nice and compact anymore? I like the EOS 400D that it feels very compact and solid feeling in my hands, and it also looks kind of well balance. Is the battery life of the Canon EOS 400D batterypack acceptable without the additionalbattery grip? Now I have Canon EOS 400D and Nikon D80in mind.Maybe I should start a poll and see how many people will vote for the Canon or Nikon haha. :-)If I get theCanon EOS 400D, I think I will surely get it with the 17-40mm USM F/4L and then add on a longer zoom. But if I get the Nikon D80, I think Iwill very likely getit with the 18-135mmkit lens since the kit is value for money, and then add on a longer zoom lens also maybe later on.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:46 AM   #18

To kenbalbari, thanks for your suggestion, I think your plan is a good idea but I don't really want to carry 3 lens around for the start. Do you think that getting the Canon EOS 400D with the 17-40mm L and then withyour 70-200 f4.0L USM will be a good idea? Is there a longer zoom lens that canstart from 40mmso that it can better match on from the40mm range of the 17-40mm L?
Old Feb 1, 2007, 3:36 AM   #19

"Do you think that getting the Canon EOS 400D with the 17-40mm L and then withyour 70-200 f4.0L USM will be a good idea?"

It's not a bad combination. The short telephoto range you are then missing though, from 64-112mm EFL, is very useful for portraits.

"Is there a longer zoom lens that canstart from 40mmso that it can better match on from the40mm range of the 17-40mm L?"

Here's a good site for checking ut some of the options:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/11

There are some. But, if you're insisting on L glass quality in your wide angle lens, I'm not sure if you will be happy with either a long zoom covering everyting else, or a cheap zoom filling in the gap.

There are lenses which will even go 28-200, for example, but you simply don't get the same quality in anything that zooms more than 3-4 times that you do in a shorter zoom. There's a reason most of those L series zooms don't zoom more than 3x, and the ones that do run into 4 digit price tags.

If you plan to shoot mainly wide angle though, and just want to cover everything else with one other lens, you could do that. I think if I were doing alot of street photography in an urban area I might want a 17-40 as my main lens.

One option that might pair well with the 17-40 would be the Sigma 50-150 f2.8. But, while it's a better match for it's focal length, for my money I think I'd still rather have the 70-200 f4L.

The other option is to plug that gap with a third lens. But just because you have 3 wouldn't mean you'd always have to carry three, either. There are alot of reasonably priced 24-70 type options, as that would be a popular full frame length. If none of the Canon ones look exiting, you could consider the Tokina 28-70 f2.8 ATX Pro, or the Sigma 28-60 f2.8 EX DG.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 3:48 AM   #20

Thanks kenbalbari, I think I will settle for the Canon EOS 400D with the 17-40mm USM L first before deciding on a longer zoom asthe options canseems quite confusing. I see so many options for a longer zoom.