Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:54 PM   #11

DJ Matt wrote:
Quote:
Hey everyone, my dad owns a d200 and we recently went on a trip out in Austin. He tought me alot and I got real into photography. I am really thinking about a D40 but have a quick question, does it have any type of isolated, or selective focus?

Thanks,
Matt

Heres a cool little shot I took using my dad's d200 and isolated focus, just messing around.

Hi Matt,

I'm in Clearlake. The feature you're talking about is "depth of field". What you've shown is a narrow depth of field. That is a function of the lens used. Any lens with a wide open aperture (say F1.2 up to about F2.8 or a little higher for telephoto lenses) will have a narrow depth of field and look like this shot. The typical lens is a 50mm F1.4 or so. All the usual camera companies offer a good 50mm lens that allows shots like this. These lenses are also great in low light since the large opening lets in what little light there is.

Hope this helps.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 4:13 PM   #12

Hey Russ,

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I may be sounding a little bit stupid right now but what I was saying was that on the d200 there is a little switch next to the screen. Once you flipped it on you were able to move the D-Pad left, right, up, and down and through the viewfinder you could move the little box to where you want to focus. Is there anything like that on the d40?

Thanks,

Matt
DJ Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:15 PM   #13

Thanks for all the input everyone!

I've got to get to the store and handle some cameras!
lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:24 PM   #14

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
I own the K100d and was considering the Canon XT as well. The Nikons never appealed to me though.

If you can increase your budget a little, get the XTI, shop around, or get the black XT body then add the grip for AA batteries. The XTI pic....using polarized filter to enhance the blue sky.
Attached Images

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 7:37 PM   #15

DJ Matt wrote:
Quote:
Hey Russ,

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I may be sounding a little bit stupid right now but what I was saying was that on the d200 there is a little switch next to the screen. Once you flipped it on you were able to move the D-Pad left, right, up, and down and through the viewfinder you could move the little box to where you want to focus. Is there anything like that on the d40?

Thanks,

Matt
Yes ther is, Just go into the menu and look at the AF Position and you can move it to where you would likehope this helps.
Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 8:47 PM   #16

Redsquare wrote:
Quote:
DJ Matt wrote:
Quote:
Hey Russ,

Thanks,

Matt
Yes ther is, Just go into the menu and look at the AF Position and you can move it to where you would like*hope this helps.
Thank you so much im pretty sure im going to get a d40. any advice?

by the way I went in to Wolf Camera today and asked a salesman that same question and he said he didnt think so. I could tell he had no idea what he was talking about though.
DJ Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:23 PM   #17

rfortson wrote:
Quote:

Let's see...I think I've gone over 1200 shots now since I installed two Lithium CRV3's (Walgreen's brand, $10 for the pair) back before my Thanksgiving trip. The battery meter still shows full. I routinely get 500-600 shots on my NiMH's. Battery life on any of the cameras is a non-issue, IMHO. Unless you happen to shoot 500+ shots at one time.

Russ
I shoot a lot of outdoors and in the cold so for me rechargable AA's was not an option, it may work for others but it's just one of many considerations one makes when choosing their SLR. I'm not inclined to spend $10 every time I plan on taking a good number of shots outdoors in the cold. Of course with two 3200mah CRV3's I hope you get better battery life then from a 1400 Lion rechargable. The size and weight of "spares" is another consideration.
JinE is offline   Reply With Quote